PDA

View Full Version : Common Loonacy!

Gary "Jake" Jacobson
01-03-2008, 09:41 PM
I thought for my first post I would submit a loon shot from my first loon photo opportunity. This image was captured while I was out fishing. Lucky for me the fish weren't biting, but I noticed that the light was wonderful. I also noticed that there was a pair of loons across the bay. So I set down the fishing pole, grabbed the Canon 10D with 100-400mm IS zoom lens and fired up the motor. I got within about 100 feet and killed the motor and turned on the electric trolling motor. This allowed for a slow, steady, quiet approach. I was able to get within 15 feet or so for some of the images.

Thanks,
Jake

http://frozenshutter.smugmug.com/photos/125650472-M-1.jpg

Fabs Forns
01-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Hi Jake,

From the thumbnail I was going to bust you :)
When I opened the image, though, I saw exactly what you were trying to achieve and really like this image. The white in the chest is a bit hot, easy to fix.
Only wish for a bit more room in front of the OOF bird, but minor. I'll take as is :)

Alfred Forns
01-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Way to go jake !!!! Sure came up with an opportunity and made the best !!! Love the low angle and beautiful water The chick riding on the back gives a special feeling and was topped by having a second one superimposed !!!! I like this image very much !!!!

Mike Cameron
01-03-2008, 10:14 PM
This is a beautiful family portrait! The bg is beautiful, and I like how the second adult echos the position of the first. I would like to see a little more room in front of the birds, but that is a minor point. Its always good to keep the camera close!

Regards,
Mike

Glenn Bartley
01-03-2008, 10:43 PM
A very nice family portrait. Just tone down the whites a touch ;)

Gary "Jake" Jacobson
01-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Thanks Fab, Al and Mike! It was kind of funny that my sister requested earlier in the day to get a photo of a loon with a chick on the back. I said back to her...yeah right! I guess I was blessed by the light and the opportunity. Unfortunately, the 10 blows out a lot of highlights and loons are a tough subject to learn on with the bright white chest and deep black in the feathers. I'm hoping the new 40D will perform better this summer. I am always trying to learn and adjust, but it was tough enough trying to steer with the trolling motor, hand hold the 100-400mm IS lens while trying to respect the birds without making them nervous. Thanks for the insight! It is very much appreciated.

Fabs Forns
01-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Hey Jake,

Check this thread, I explain how to fix your maladies :)

http://birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=701

David Hemmings
01-04-2008, 12:39 AM
Beautiful family scene here, great colors:cool:

Alfred Forns
01-04-2008, 05:38 AM
Jake, You don't have a wrist remote for your trolling motor :D:D:)

Gary "Jake" Jacobson
01-04-2008, 07:58 AM
Al - I am holding out for a psychic controller for my trolling motor.

Jody Melanson
01-04-2008, 08:10 AM
I agree with Fabs and welcome to BPN!

Judy Lynn Malloch
01-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Hi Jake . Fab has covered it all but I would like to say that to capture a loon with a little hitchhiker on the back is a long time dream and I would be thrilled to have an image like this, Very nice indeed !!!