PDA

View Full Version : Spotted Towhee

Bonnie Block
12-07-2010, 05:15 PM

Really just testing a new lens camera combo here. 70-200F/2.8 IS II and the 2X TC.
Finally got some birds to show up at my feeder. This elusive guy came out for half a second.
They do not like to come out in the open--so I was amazed it gave me this much. Would love it if the perch was clean--but.... next time.

Canon 7D 70-200 f/2.8 IS II 2X TC
1/250s f/6.3 at 300.0mm ISO 1000

Bonnie Block
12-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Looks like a special moment, cool pose captured. As this is your feeder setup, you might find a twig with less dominating features: the leaves do distract a bit. Also, I think you might have opened the exposure a bit further (+2/3 - +1) as the bird is suffering from a bit of noise.
Thanks for commenting, Peter
Yes, I just set this feeder up--and it took about a week to attract anything to it. Now that I see how things are working I can tweak it a little to be better.
I also see that I was a bit under exposed--but I was not expecting this guy to pop up where it did! Half second it perched there. LOL!

annmpacheco
12-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Hi Bonnie, great looking bird and you'll be more excited with every opportunity. How do you like your lens? What focus ?AF points did you use?

Bonnie Block
12-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Hi Bonnie, great looking bird and you'll be more excited with every opportunity. How do you like your lens? What focus ?AF points did you use?
Hi Ann,
I really like this lens--so much I did sell my f/4 copy. I am sure I was using AI Servo and I had single point/expansion on. I usually have just single point selected, but at this point, I am just experimenting a little with the settings. I have not worked with little birds for awhile--I am definitely in need of practice!

Paul Lagasi
12-08-2010, 12:20 AM
I like the birds pose and the look in his eye, they look so angry all the time. Head is sharp and thats what counts. The background is neat. As stated above noise is noticable (maybe run NR on it). Well done though, these birds are tough to get out in the open.

ChasMcRae
12-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Neat bird with great colors. Something about the eye and top of the head bothers me,but may only be the blending with background of leaves.
Were you using a tripod with 2.8-2x combination or handheld ?
I am interested in this combination as a replacement for my 100-400 ,so please post thoughts in the future with this combination.

Ryan Schain
12-08-2010, 02:05 PM
I don't mind the perch, and the shade is awesome...really shows what this species likes to hang out in!