PDA

View Full Version : Snow Geese Blast Off @ Sunrise

Troy Lim
12-06-2010, 11:58 PM
From Bosque, my first trip.

Woke up at 5am trying to get a decent shot of the snow geese blast off, finally, the light, wind direction and the time of the blast off all fell into place and I was able to create this image. It was worth standing in cold for 5 days straight for a shot like this. Going out again tomorrow morning before heading to the airport. :(

Camera Nikon D700
Exposure 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture f/16.0
Focal Length 17 mm
ISO Speed 200
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash No Flash

Christopher Marek
12-07-2010, 12:07 AM
Wow, I tried and tried to get such a shot. Yes, it was very cold for me too. You did good! You captured the motion of them leaving the water. I can still see the ripple of their departure. You have all the color. Great job dude.

Troy Lim
12-07-2010, 12:12 AM
Wow, I tried and tried to get such a shot. Yes, it was very cold for me too. You did good! You captured the motion of them leaving the water. I can still see the ripple of their departure. You have all the color. Great job dude.

Christopher, thank you.
I was shooting with Mirror Up and only had time for 3 frames with 6 clicks on my cable release.
Are you going out there again tomorrow?

Sid Garige
12-07-2010, 12:15 AM
Very nice image Troy. Great to see the sky filled with birds and wonderful colors.

Christopher Marek
12-07-2010, 12:17 AM
Christopher, thank you.
I was shooting with Mirror Up and only had time for 3 frames with 6 clicks on my cable release.
Are you going out there again tomorrow?
I was out at Bosque a week and a half ago, so the opportunity for me is gone. At least you got this one for yourself. Be glad.

Geoff Warnock
12-07-2010, 05:01 AM
Lovely shot with great colours! I've seen a number of wide angle bird shots lately and really like the perspective offered, I'm going to have to give some a try soon.

Troy Lim
12-07-2010, 07:16 AM
Very nice image Troy. Great to see the sky filled with birds and wonderful colors.

Sid, you should have came out with me.

Troy Lim
12-07-2010, 07:16 AM
I was out at Bosque a week and a half ago, so the opportunity for me is gone. At least you got this one for yourself. Be glad.

I am hoping to get another one today. :)

Troy Lim
12-07-2010, 07:17 AM
Lovely shot with great colours! I've seen a number of wide angle bird shots lately and really like the perspective offered, I'm going to have to give some a try soon.

Happy Shooting!

Kiran Poonacha
12-07-2010, 07:43 AM
wonderful sight captured well here troy.. loved it..

Michael Lloyd
12-07-2010, 07:53 AM
Very nice Troy!

It looks like we left too soon. We were there Thurs - Sat and the skies were crystal clear every morning.

Nancy Bell
12-07-2010, 09:06 AM
This is well done! And I love the wide angle perspective as it really captures the grandness of the blastoff. I also like the clean strip of color between the birds and the horizon, separting the motion from the bkgd.

Danny J Brown
12-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Troy,

Great work capturing a common sight out there with your 17mm at the right time and place to make a very unique and compelling image. Color and perspective are wonderful. Keep 'em coming.

DB

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
12-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Love the perspective, the silhouette of the birds against the deep purple morning sky, the distance sun in the background, and the light reflecting off the pool in the foreground. Wonderful image, well worth the waiting in the cold. Very well done, TFS.

pietipeppie
12-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Great picture, could give more space up, but it's okey now anyway:)

Pieter de Waal
12-07-2010, 04:43 PM
A wonderful spectacle and well captured Troy. All has been said, the colours of the morning light are well managed and I do like the composition.

Bonnie Block
12-07-2010, 05:22 PM
This is great, Troy. Hope you make a BIG print of it!!! Congratulations!

Craig Brelsford
12-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Troy, I've been following your work, and I haven't seen anything of yours that I've liked more than this one. Your hard work paid off with a shot that you'll remember for years to come. I can just imagine your combination of discomfort, frustration, and finally exhilaration when you discovered that you'd nailed it. Looking at this, I can truly say, "I wish it were mine."

Charles Scheffold
12-08-2010, 09:26 AM
WOW! The birds' angle of approach could not be better if you planned it. Looks 3D. Perfect composition and placement of the horizon.

Charles

Doug Brown
12-08-2010, 12:38 PM
You took this shot from concept to reality and came away with a fantastic image! Congrats! Enjoyed meeting you the other day!

Troy Lim
12-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Troy,

Great work capturing a common sight out there with your 17mm at the right time and place to make a very unique and compelling image. Color and perspective are wonderful. Keep 'em coming.

DB

Danny, thank you.

Love the perspective, the silhouette of the birds against the deep purple morning sky, the distance sun in the background, and the light reflecting off the pool in the foreground. Wonderful image, well worth the waiting in the cold. Very well done, TFS.
Thank you.

Great picture, could give more space up, but it's okey now anyway:)
Space btw the bird and horizon?? I shot this image on a tripod with cable release, in Mirror Up, it lasted seconds and I was able to captured 3 framed with 6 clicks. I got this one at the moment it has enough separation from the horizon to not ruin the great sunrise.

A wonderful spectacle and well captured Troy. All has been said, the colours of the morning light are well managed and I do like the composition.
Thank you Pieter.

This is great, Troy. Hope you make a BIG print of it!!! Congratulations!
Bonnie, really appreciate it :)

Troy, I've been following your work, and I haven't seen anything of yours that I've liked more than this one. Your hard work paid off with a shot that you'll remember for years to come. I can just imagine your combination of discomfort, frustration, and finally exhilaration when you discovered that you'd nailed it. Looking at this, I can truly say, "I wish it were mine."
Craig, thank you very much.

WOW! The birds' angle of approach could not be better if you planned it. Looks 3D. Perfect composition and placement of the horizon.

Charles
Charles, thank you. The wind was at the right direction that day.

You took this shot from concept to reality and came away with a fantastic image! Congrats! Enjoyed meeting you the other day!
Doug, likewise. I hope to learn a lot more from you.

Craig Brelsford
12-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Troy, I'm still wondering how it was that those geese flew right over your head. Waterfowl in China just don't do that. The picture gives the impression that you were standing out in the open. Yet they flew right at you.

Troy Lim
12-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Troy, I'm still wondering how it was that those geese flew right over your head. Waterfowl in China just don't do that. The picture gives the impression that you were standing out in the open. Yet they flew right at you.

Craig, this is at the area called Flight Deck in Bosque del Apache. There is actually a deck that goes out a little further but I chose to go to the right side of the deck. The pond is right off the side of the road and it is a wide open area.
Wind was blowing from behind my left shoulder. As for taking off towards me, it was the wind, for why they do that all at once, I am still not sure. Perhaps someone else on here can help explains further.

Joerg Rockenberger
12-09-2010, 12:24 AM
Wow. My toes still curl up in shock seeing such image and remembering the deep freeze when I tried to take such image during turkey week. Congrats, JR

Troy Lim
12-09-2010, 10:37 AM
Wow. My toes still curl up in shock seeing such image and remembering the deep freeze when I tried to take such image during turkey week. Congrats, JR

JR,
Appreciate it!

Chris van Rooyen
12-11-2010, 05:25 AM
Definitely worth it Troy! Like the slight motion blur on the geese

Troy Lim
12-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Definitely worth it Troy! Like the slight motion blur on the geese

Thank you.