PDA

View Full Version : Junco

Joel Eade
12-06-2010, 06:20 PM
This little fella was really keeping his feathers puffed out due to the cold. I usually don't post images without a natural perch but I was really happy with the light and exposure on this one.

1DMKIII
300mm 2.8L + 1.4TC II
EX 430 II off camera, manual with output set to 1/8
Manual exposure, evaluative metering
ISO 1600
f/4
1/1000

Maureen Allen
12-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Nice one, Joel. This little fellow looks very cold! Feather detail is very nice and the background is lovely.

I wish he was on a perch instead of the birdbath, but I'm sure you wish that too.

Doug Brown
12-07-2010, 04:04 PM
The bird looks good against that BG, although as Maureen pointed out, a natural perch would have been nice. Exposure and sharpness look good, but I might tone down the bright area on the bird's belly. If you're going for perched birds I don't think you need 1/1000. 1/250 is usually plenty, and then you can back way off on your ISO. That should give you improved image quality.

denise ippolito
12-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Nice pose and details. The BG looks good too. I agree a natural perch would have been nice.

Joel Eade
12-07-2010, 08:37 PM
I appreciate you looking and commenting Doug and I agree with your suggestions mostly....

A natural perch is preferable and I have one set up just to the left of this image...I just thought this one came out unusually nice under the circumstances.

With regard to shutter speed I think you are partially correct ... given good light and a stationary subject you could use a slower speed but in this case I had neither. It was a heavily overcast, gloomy day and these little birds, even when perched, rarely are still. So it is not easy (at least for me) to get a really sharp image consistently even at 1/500, especially considering the effective focal length involved here and the fact that I am set up at extremely close range.

Joel

Peter Farrell
12-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Very nice detail on the bird and a great BG. Yes a natural perch would be better, but if you can get a Junco to perch on anything, take the shot! In my backyard they stay on the ground.
Peter