12-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Hi

Took this earlier in the summer

SS 1/500
Ev +.33
FL 400 on 100-400, Canon 40D
f 5.6

I suppose I should clone out the weeds?

Couldnt get lower angle at the location but personally loved the wind in the feathers
critique welcome:)

Randy Stout
12-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Richard:

The windblown feathers are very nice, very 3D effect from it.
I would think about some minor cloning of the weeds. I am more bothered by the ones comes out of his back than those in front.

As presented, I think the bird could go 1/4 to 1/3 of a stop brighter, if you can keep the whites in check.
To my eye the feathers are a bit sharper than the head/eye, perhaps a bit more sharpening there.

Good look back pose.
Too bad about the angle, but often times it can't be helped.

Cheers

Randy

Richard Unsworth
12-06-2010, 05:38 PM
Hi Randy

Thanks for the C&C
Weeds gone

Ev +.66

Add small amount general saturation

Quick Mask head one pass USM at 100, 1 px

Color too weak?

Comments

Alan Murphy
12-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Nice lookback pose. I'm seeing a strong cyan cast.

Randy Stout
12-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Richard:

The repost is a significant improvement. You have gotten most of the original color cast, loosing the vegetation has helped.

It still seemed just a bit murky to me, so set the white point in curves on the brightest white spot, and like the slightly better color balance and pop of image. I don't know this bird, so if the colors are not true, let me know.

Just an option.

Cheers

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
12-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Richard, your repost looks better at getting rid of the strong colour cast, and Randy's even more so. On the OP it seems like you have run NR to the complete image as the feathers are smoothed out, was that the case?

Richard Unsworth
12-07-2010, 02:07 AM
Thanks Randy, it was late when I reposted and your correction to color is good, do you see a little noise on the bird now, particularly on the black tail?
Daniel, OP :I did run NR on whole image as I did this earlier in the year when I had not learned techniques here, indeed I think I ran the OF through some trial of Topaz which I do not do now.:p
There is clearly less smoothing in the body feathers now and I actually did not run NR on the repost.
Went back to the master file for the repost; great to get your advice :)

Rich

Daniel Cadieux
12-07-2010, 06:53 AM
Richard, thanks for the additional info:cool: