PDA

View Full Version : Variable Oystercatcher

Sidharth Kodikal
12-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Having not had a chance to get out, I went dumpster diving and found this one from my NZ visit last year, although I seem to have misplaced the raw.

Canon 50D, 300 f2.8, 2x tc
1/400, f 5.6, iso200

Input appreciated.

Thanks,
Sidharth

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Siddharth, this is a terrific shot. Great blacks, pose and that eye catches attention. Whites can be toned down a bit perhaps....this must have been pretty hard to expose. I like this idea of subject placement, but a little more room to the left might work better? wondering.

Alan Murphy
12-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Nice low angle. I also feel he is too far left.

Bhushan Dalvi
12-06-2010, 07:58 PM
Sidharth, nice high key image. Love the way the bird looks into the frame. You did well with the exposure.
Agree with both the posts above with their opinion on placement of the subject.TFS.

Daniel Cadieux
12-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Great pose and low angle. Awesome job on the blacks. I agree with the others about bird placement in the frame. I hope you can find the raw file as it would be worth working on the sand as I find it quite harsh and bright. Additional selective sharpening on the eye would be good too as I find it a tad soft compared to some other parts of the bird.

Sidharth Kodikal
12-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Thank you all for the feedback. I run daily backups, so I'm pretty sure I will find the raw in the backup.
I will work on all the suggestions.
Good observation Daniel. The eye was indeed softer; I must have focussed on the shoulder/back.
Thanks again.

James Salywoda
12-07-2010, 10:21 AM
I'd just pull down the bg in the lower left corner but the composition of the shot is fantastic.