PDA

View Full Version : Don't try this at home: Ancient Murrelet + Kayak + 1120mm

Glenn Bartley
12-06-2010, 01:00 PM
This species is definitely one of the trickier North American birds out there to photograph. Being Alcids they are basically impossible to photograph from shore meaning that a vessel of some sort is required. The problem is that by the time they come south the weather is generally nasty and the ocean rough. I had been waiting for 2 years to get a window of opportunity to try for these guys and finally got it early in November. After several attempts I finally got a few shots that I am very proud of.

Hope you enjoy this one!

Camera Model: Canon EOS 7D
Shutter speed: 1/1250 sec
Aperture: 8
ISO: 400
Focal length: 500mm + 1.4x

Greg Basco
12-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Hey, Glenn. Great stuff and congrats on pulling off such a nice image given the tough exposure and the challenging conditions. Love the little ripples in front of this guy.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Randy Stout
12-06-2010, 01:07 PM
Glenn:
Congrats on capturing this guy on 'film'
It must have been a challenge to shoot this rig from a kayak. I often take out an 80-400, but not the bigger glass in my kayak.

Sharp, well exposed, good look back pose, nice water drops.

Water must have been pretty still that day.

Cheers

Randy

subhrashis
12-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Well you are one brave soul! :) And this is a beautiful reward !

Great details and look back here, and I like those water droplets on him. This may be unconventional, but I'm left wanting to see more space to the right :confused: . Still, great as presented. Thanks a lot for sharing!

Declan Troy
12-06-2010, 05:58 PM
And proud you should be. I've never noticed those pale fringes on the throat feathers before; guess one needs a nice detailed image to get that chance.

BTW, what kayak do you use?

Daniel Cadieux
12-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Glenn, this was most definitely worth the effort! A big wow from me, good job all around...both the techs and technique:cheers:

Kiran Poonacha
12-07-2010, 07:47 AM
first sight of this beautiful bird Glenn... nicely done... TFS