PDA

View Full Version : The Milky Way Over Turret Arch

Roman Kurywczak
12-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Should be sleeping! From last night. Got in at 4am and got about 45 minutes of sleep.....then went out for sunrise at 6am this morning. Needless to say I'm tired and ready to go to bed right now!
I am always amazed by the milky way when I am out here.....this one has been on my list for a while so glad that the sky finally cooperated.
Canon 1D Mark lll with the 17-40mm lens at 17mm for 30 seconds at f4 and ISO 6400. Painted with large Mag light and all tripod mounted w/ bubble level in hot shoe. Saved at 73 quality.

Andrew McLachlan
12-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Hey Roman, another lovely nightscape. The sky and milkyway are awesome. Wonder if the arch should be a tad brighter?

Roger Clark
12-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Roman,

Very nice image. This one seems to have more star colors than others you have posted. Very very nice! Did you process any differently? Composition is great.

For everyone's info, the Andromeda galaxy (M31) is just above the turret (little fuzzy thins extending in the 2 o'clock to 8pm direction. The two bright spots to the upper right of center is the Double Cluster (two star clusters). The constellation Cassiopeia is at the top of the image.

Roger

Dave Mills
12-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Hi Roman, Very nice comp with the MW a standout. Agree with Andrew that I would like to see the arch just a little brighter otherwise very well handled!!

denise ippolito
12-07-2010, 06:02 PM
Really cool Roman, The stars and sky are fantastic! I agree w/ lightening it a little. Great mood.:)

Susan Candelario
12-11-2010, 03:00 PM
hey Roman,
Another fantastic image. We are going to have to start calling you the King of Nights. Ditto on lightening a bit. Just realized you worked on this image in your laptop and perhaps it looked different in the screen.
~Susan

Jay Gould
12-11-2010, 05:15 PM
This appears to be a New Jersey convention!

I like the image and I would not lighten the Arch.

What I do not like is the black in the LRC; while the eye will gravitate first to brightness in an image and grab the viewer, in this case there is no defined brightness so you are grabbed by the Arch and sky almost together. However, I can't keep my eye from wandering down to the LRC.