PDA

View Full Version : "Let's Get Ready to Rumble"

Randy Stout
12-06-2010, 06:23 AM
This pair of trumpeter swans was getting ready to have a loud encounter with a rival pair, just off to the right of the birds. It was pretty entertaining as the slippery conditions made for lots of sliding around, but no serious injuries :).
Taken at the local bird sanctuary, cold, windy, dark day.

D700 600mm EFL f/6.3 1/800s ISO 800 Manual Exp. Gitzo/Wimberley

Post: Removed another swan from upper left corner, selective sharpening, curves, in PS5
Thought about lightening the shadows under the breasts, but felt they gave a bit of definition to a pretty low contrast scene, so left.

Advice always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Christopher Marek
12-06-2010, 08:30 AM
I love the black and white look of this image and I love the 'dance' move they are performing. It is apparent that they are agitated by some thing but we don't know what that may be. This is much more that the usual portrait.

Doug Brown
12-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Love the behavior captured, with good head angles on both birds. Kind of looks like they are dancing! Nice image Randy!

Greg Basco
12-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Randy, great mood on this one. Exposure and sharpness look right on.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Mital Patel
12-06-2010, 10:42 AM
randy this is absolute touchy image to me. the dancing pose is just awesome and reason why i cant see anything else than enjoy the image here.

well a white line going behind can be eliminated might reduce the distraction .. Still this is a very powerful image one can hardly get to go there on those lines.

Stu Bowie
12-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Randy, Swan ballet comes to mind in this. I like the 'skating' postures, well exposed, and good to see the partially open wings.

As our ponds dont freeze up, more boil with the heat, would a human be able to stand on the ice and not fall through, or is it just a fine layer to accomodate our feathered friends.

Randy Stout
12-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks everyone for the input:

Stuart: It is still fairly early in our winter, so a person can't safely walk on the ice in my area yet. In a typical winter, you often can drive a truck on the ice later in the season!

Mital: The white line is accumulated snow. I could tone it down, but because that is what I saw while there, if fits for me. I can see how coming to the image without being there, the snow might be distracting. I feel there is enough tonal separation to make the birds standout from the snow.

Cheers

Randy

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Randy, what a cool shot. Terrific poses and surroundings. Great feel to this one.

Sidharth Kodikal
12-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Randy, a very lovely image. Excellent poses and exposure. Very nice comp too.

Pieter de Waal
12-06-2010, 03:04 PM
What a wonderful moment you have captured Randy-movement any dancer would be proud of.:D Love the symmetry and curve of the necks on the birds and great detail in the wings. TFS.

Gary Esman
12-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Excellent shot Randy! Even can see the skids marks in the back where they landed. :cool: Love the detail in the feet, not seen very often except on the ice...very cool.

Gary.

Monte Brown
12-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Randy,

Great composition, perfect exposure, very sharp.

Kiran Poonacha
12-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Superb feel to the frame Randy.. really liked the pose (moment) and compo here... nicely done

Jamie Douglas
12-07-2010, 10:18 PM
The posture of both birds is superb. Head angles of both birds really compliment each other. Very nice. Typical that the little guy is picking a fight with his big friend as back up.

Randy Stout
12-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Thanks again everyone. I appreciate your comments and advice!

Cheers

Randy