PDA

View Full Version : What Hummer

Roy Priest
12-06-2010, 01:11 AM
Scottsdale Arizona

Paul Guris
12-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Ouch! Western hummers are not my strong point especially from memory, but I'll give it a go.

The bird shows no peachy wash on the sides and, although it is folded, I can't see any rufous coloration. That should toss out Rufous, Allen's, and Broad-tailed. I'm pretty sure it also knocks out Calliope, though I don't know if they can appear this plain.

It looks short, plump, and the bill looks thin and short. This should toss out Anna's and I think the shape probably tosses out Black-chinned, with the HUGE caveat that determining shape by one photo is an action fraught with error. I think Black-chinned might also be expected to show a bit of white tip on that tucked blackish tail feather, but I may be grasping here.

So I'm going to call this one a Costa's.

If nobody weighs in who knows these critters better than I do, I'll send it around to some hummingbird bander friends of mine.

Paul Lagasi
12-11-2010, 08:28 AM
I am also not up on western hummers but because of the white over the eye and the little bit of dark on the throat I'd probably go with Female Anna's...nice to be in Scotsdale for the winter...we poor Canucks have to stay and brave the cold...:)