Canon 7D
600mm f4
ISO 400 1/400 f7.1 Manual exposure.

Comments?

Cheers
gary

Katie Rupp
12-05-2010, 07:24 PM
An unusual pose and I'm thinking this bird is either looking for it's mate or making sure there not another crane coming in for a landing on top of him:) Nice details and I like the separation from the bg.

Christopher Marek
12-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Gary, I was there last week, but looking at this I can actually hear him now. Great capture.

Arthur Morris
12-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Hey Gary, I like the faint birds in the BKGR as well as the calling posture. The whole thing could go a bit lighter. Hey, are they knocking down a new cornfield right now?

gary rouleau
12-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Hey Gary, I like the faint birds in the BKGR as well as the calling posture. The whole thing could go a bit lighter. Hey, are they knocking down a new cornfield right now?

The weather been pretty warm here. The last I heard they were going to start cutting the second field over. Sandhills are still spread out along the Rio grande. As soon as the cold temps hit they will all be at the Bosque, food supply is too good to pass by.

cheers
gary

Arthur Morris
12-05-2010, 10:28 PM
The second field over from where??? The only corn I saw by the road was in the first field where you make the left turn at the end of the long straight road up the east side of the refuge....

gary rouleau
12-05-2010, 10:29 PM
The second field over from where??? The only corn I saw by the road was in the first field where you make the left turn at the end of the long straight road up the east side of the refuge....

That's the one. The Animals cut a huge viewing window there.

gary

Arthur Morris
12-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Thanks. That's what I figured. Did they start knocking it down from the west?

Did the birds find it yet? Any good flight or blast-offs?

gary rouleau
12-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks. That's what I figured. Did they start knocking it down from the west?

Did the birds find it yet? Any good flight or blast-offs?

I'm sure they found it, they could write book about the Bosque and how it should be run.
I don't visit the Bosque that much this time of the year -the cranes are not as active as in January/February. The excitement of going back home plus the hormones starting to flow makes for great action.
So I really can't say about the blast off the last week.
gary

Doug Brown
12-06-2010, 08:55 AM
Other than going a little brighter, I like this image a lot Gary. The visible eye really helps.

Arthur Morris
12-06-2010, 08:57 AM
I'm sure they found it, they could write book about the Bosque and how it should be run. I don't visit the Bosque that much this time of the year -the cranes are not as active as in January/February. The excitement of going back home plus the hormones starting to flow makes for great action.So I really can't say about the blast off the last week. gary

Thanks. By "this time of year" do you mean NOV/DEC or just DEC?

What sort of action stuff can you get in JAN with the cranes?

Greg Basco
12-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Hey, Gary. Cool and different image. I like how the background is rendered. Agree with Arthur and Doug that it could be brightened up a bit.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Kristin Brown
12-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Gary,
Nice pose. I too can hear him calling! Brightening tip covered. Congrats....:)