PDA

View Full Version : Blue Tit in flight - High Speed Flash

Austin Thomas
12-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Hi all,

It was dull and overcast all day today so I decided to dust off the flash guns and have another go at "freezing" the action. The temperature outside complemented this project perfectly !

There is a lot of trial and even more error in this type of image as there are many variables. For every image I decide to keep there are hundreds that find there way into the recycle bin.

If you would like to see the image as it landed then please click HERE (http://www.austin-thomas.co.uk/blog?p=546)

Canon 1DMK4, 70-200 lens at 105mm, multiple flashes with the extra catchlights cloned away.

Cheers

Austin

Johan Kruger
12-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Wow this is a super shot. Very well done

Sidharth Kodikal
12-05-2010, 04:20 PM
The action frozen here is fantastic, Austin. I like everything about this image. I cannot imagine the number of attempts it would take me to achieve a shot like this. Very well done.

Geoff Warnock
12-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Agree with the others, awesome shot! Well planned and great execution.

Katie Rupp
12-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Wonderful suspended action and I like the rich color of the thistle...love the little outspread feet, too.

Arthur Morris
12-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Spectacular pose. Techs and EXP right on.

Can you tell us about your setup? How many flashes? How is the shutter tripped? What is the BKGR? Is there a flash on it?

I'd go for a crop from the bottom to 3X2.

Gen Benjamin
12-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Wow this is a wonderful image
Gen

Arthur Morris
12-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Wow this is a wonderful image.Gen

Gen, Please let us know why you like an image. Thanks a stack.

Gen Benjamin
12-05-2010, 09:58 PM
Gen, Please let us know why you like an image. Thanks a stack.

Artie
What's not to like
Beautiful composition, great stop action, tack sharp, imapct, exposure is perfect, background is wonderful, pose is striking, I just think this is a wonderful image in all aspects.
Gen

Arthur Morris
12-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks Gen. Much better. We do not want to become just another "Great Shot" forum :).

BTW, I meant to ask, where does the Gen come from?

(Sorry about the Gus thing--I am too tired.)

Gen Benjamin
12-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks Gen. Much better. We do not want to become just another "Great Shot" forum :).

BTW, I meant to ask, where does the Gen come from?

(Sorry about the Gus thing--I am too tired.)
You bet, I'll be more specific in the future
Gen is short for Genevieve

Chris van Rooyen
12-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Love the sharpness and composition. Would love to know more about your setup

Arthur Morris
12-05-2010, 10:26 PM
You bet, I'll be more specific in the future. Gen is short for Genevieve

Thanks a stack :) You had me fooled. I was thinking General something...

Chris Martinez
12-06-2010, 06:05 AM
I like the way the dark background makes the birds pop out. Like it's been cut out and stuck onto it. The pose is awesome..... wings outstretched(and back), claws open and ready for impact and the eye focussed so intently on the landing zone.
With all this happening at speed, it amazes me that the bird doesn't land on one of those spikes on the stem.

Greg Basco
12-06-2010, 08:37 AM
Austin, great job on anticipating and capturing this pose. It's really cool! I think the flash is just a bit strong on this image, not so much due to the quantity (the exposure looks right on) but the quality of the light. Placing the flashes at more of an angle for future shots, varying the distances of the flashes, and/or diffusing the flashes in some way can help on setups like this.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Patrick Sparkman
12-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Great image. Love the bird, sharpness, perch, and the almost "leathery" background. Please tell us more about your setup.

Austin Thomas
12-08-2010, 07:46 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for your comments and feedback, much appreciated.

The setup is actually in my back garden where I have positioned a feeding station about a metre from a downstairs window. I bolt the camera to the window frame, allowing me to be indoors and able to make adjustments from the relative comfort of my home. I have fed the birds here for over ten years so they are not concerned about seeing me thorough the window. We are used to each other and this bird was probably born in the roof space of my house !

The flashes are arranged around the feeders, 3 were used in this image and another flash on the background. They are wirelessly triggered.

I had already observed that some of the birds would land on the top of the teasel, some would land as this one did on the stem and the vast majority just flew past the perch to the nearby food.

Then it is trail and error and I make small iterations all day. Moving the position of the flashes. Adjusting the angle of the perch if necessary, checking for sharpness etc. Hundreds of images are thrown away and occasionally I get one where I am happy. This one took me all day.

Cheers

Austin

Arthur Morris
12-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the info Austin. You missed one question, possibly the most important: are you pushing the shutter button or using a trigger?