PDA

View Full Version : Frosty Morning

Dave Leroy
12-05-2010, 11:06 AM
A few Snow Berries, or at least that is what i call them.

50D, 70/200mm f4 at 160mm, 1/250, f8, Av at -1 2/3, ISO200.

Taken yesterday morning. There is a bit of a slice off the right side.

Dave

Anita Bower
12-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Snow berries is a good name for these berries. I like their different shades and the frost ringing them. Lovely blues in the BG and pleasing curve of the branch. I wonder if you might lighten up the image, all except the berries (so as not to blow out the whites). I would also suggest adding back some of the space to the right, and cropping just a bit off the bottom and left, to position the berries more in the ROT position. We shall see what others think. Good for you for getting out early to tale this photo.

pat lillich
12-05-2010, 08:46 PM
that is just plain beautiful. I love the background - and the contrast with the berries - wonderful ice crystals - lovely photo.

Ken Childs
12-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Hey Dave, you've captured a beautiful winter scene, even though it isn't quite winter yet. :)

I really like the arch and the dark BG works well here. The light on the berries seems somewhat harsh but I think a SH adjustment could easily fix that. It feels a bit tight in the frame so adding a little on the left and more on the right might look good. Nicely spotted, nicely captured. :)

Dave Leroy
12-06-2010, 12:51 PM
I just finished redoing as per Anita's suggestion. This is ff, I lightened up on bg,, did not take anything off bottom or left, and reduced the contrast a bit on berries and then read Ken's comments as well.

I think I may be a bit closer now.

And thanks Pat, I am glad you liked it.

Dave

subhrashis
12-06-2010, 01:25 PM
OK, with temperatures just dropping below single shirt level over here, this sure has an extra appeal! A very beautiful picture, and an apt one for the time.

Of the two however, I find myself liking the higer contrast, more intense blue and also the closer crop of the original, and I'd only tone down the highlights in the ice crystals a bit.

Thanks for sharing!

Anita Bower
12-06-2010, 03:26 PM
I prefer the repost, but clearly there is a difference of opinion. Thanks for sharing!

Steve Maxson
12-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Hi Dave. Very cool frosty berries and the arch of the stem is very attractive. I think the color tones of the repost are an improvement. I would suggest cropping some from the right, but not as tight as the OP - but that's subjective and you already have a couple cropping suggestions to consider. :)

Thomas Herou
12-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Very nice icy feeling.
I like both posts,but tend to like the first more.
Just a little too much magenta for my taste otherwise beautiful image.

Thomas

Roman Kurywczak
12-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Hey Dave,
Great advice above....as usual....I prefer a tighter crop but I think this also works as presented nicely!