PDA

View Full Version : De-horned

Stu Bowie
12-05-2010, 04:14 AM
As most of you will know, South Africa is being targeted with the poaching of Rhinos for their horns. In this nature reserve, three or five rhino were poached and killed for their horns. To enable the remaining rhino's to live a happy life, they decided to de horn them. This is what our children will grow to know what rhino's will look like. This is more for sharing, as the light was from the left, but still early morning.

Canon 50D
100-400 @ 130mm
1/400
F/6.3
ISO 400

Exp Comp +0.67
Hand held from the car.

Ken Watkins
12-05-2010, 04:41 AM
Stuart,

If it means preserving the Rhino then so be it, but it would be far easier if CITES relaxed its regulations to allow for farming of horn, they grow back in a couple of years.

Not much chance of this I think:(

Deborah Harrison
12-05-2010, 09:44 AM
A sad sight but if it's the only way for it to survive, I suppose necessary. Goodness knows what wildlife will be left for generations to come.
The grass in front of the mouth is unfortunate. You might was to open up the shadows a bit to lighten the head a bit.
Just my 2 cents worth, others might think differently.

Rachel Hollander
12-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Stuart - unfortunate for photographers but hopefully it will save the rhinos.

Thanks for posting this interesting development.

Rachel

Todd Frost
12-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Very sad indeed. If one could put an end to the purchasers of such product you put the poachers out of business. Thanks for sharing this.
TFS
Todd

Morkel Erasmus
12-05-2010, 03:41 PM
a very sad state of affairs Stuart...

Ken - I'm not sold on the horn farming idea...people would STILL try their best to get the horn illegally and make a quick buck. The fact that there are regulations allowing for example the harvest of "perlemoen" doesn't stop poachers from doing their thing on our coasts... :(

Ken Watkins
12-06-2010, 01:23 AM
Todd,

The market will never be closed, that is why I think it should be supplied legally. It is much the same with Ivory, the market for tusks could easily be supplied from tusks gathered from naturally dead Elephants, but CITES forbids the sale.

Harshad Barve
12-07-2010, 03:37 AM
I am sad to see & read this
TFS

Stu Bowie
12-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Thank you all for the comments and feedback.