PDA

View Full Version : Sandhill Crane duo with wheels down

Mark Perry
12-04-2010, 09:40 PM
This image is from NW Indiana (Jasper-Pulaski) shortly after sunrise on Dec 3, 2010.

1DM4 with 500 f4L + 1.4 TC (700mm) cropped slightly, AV mode @f8, 1/1000, 640 ISO, +1/3 EV.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5002/5230946620_0565ba0d89_b.jpg

Randy Stout
12-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Mark:

Impressive that you were able to get in so close to them at Jasper-Pulaski. I have not been so lucky/skillful.
Sharp and well exposed. The shadows are unfortunate, but you maintained pretty good detail there.

I like the basic composition, the clearly separated heads, other cranes in the background.

A bit more room to the right would be nice.

Hope to see more.

How were the crane numbers when you were there?

Cheers

Randy

Mark Perry
12-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Randy,

Thanks. I was standing on the ground at the SE corner, at the end of the fence. This was my 3rd year there and many cranes depart the field (sunrise) at this area so I just wait for the fly outs and fly bys.

These two cranes caught me "by surprise" as they were incoming to my left.. When I hear them, I whirled around, locked on and got 4-5 frames as flew by me and veered to their left. I had little time to react. I felt lucky to get what I got, to be honest.

There is no real estate in front of them. I would have to add canvas. I cropped slightly from the rear to balanced it out. They filled my frame.... :)

I am putting a Sandhill Crane gallery together on my website.

Conrad Tan
12-05-2010, 12:30 AM
Very nicely done. I love the eye contact here!

Stu Bowie
12-05-2010, 03:20 AM
Good double with similar flying postures. Both sharp, and wish their heads were angled more towards you.

Daniel Cadieux
12-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Looking pretty good for what I understand is pretty much a "grab shot". Sharp and well exposed, and I like the OOF cranes in the BG. I'm with Randy about the shadows and Stuart about the HAs though. The far bird's primaries sticking out of the front bird's neck are unfortunate in their placement...

I like the feel...as if I'm right there with them!

Craig Brelsford
12-05-2010, 08:15 AM
I was scrolling down looking for someone pointing out the less than perfect HA, and there was Stu and then Daniel. I noticed the HA right away as well as the shadows. It's still a strong and valuable shot. Regarding getting close to the sandhills, you can go to Florida; sandhills walk right across my parents' front yard in Volusia County.