PDA

View Full Version : Glowing cattail

Bill Randall
12-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Crop and usual ACR increase satuaration 1/160 at f4 165mm

Jay Sheinfield
12-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Very cool image. There is real feeling of movement from the wind. I might try and blend in the dark areas of the BG. Otherwise, a great shot.

Dave Leroy
12-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Interesting shot and I like the idea.

If mine I might remove the bits of twigs at bottom and top spike of cattail looks a bit off.

Neat colour of the bg.

Dave

Ken Childs
12-05-2010, 08:32 AM
Hey Bill, I like the concept you have going here....as Jay said, you really captured the feeling of movement. The biggest problem I see is that this looks overexposed. The detail is lost on much of the left side of the cattail so I would revisit this one in ACR to see if the detail is there in the raw file. The sticks at the bottom are a distraction and, IMHO, don't add anything to this shot so I would clone them out.

Please be sure to give all the shooting specs....we coulld do a more thorough critique if we knew what camera/lens was used and what the ISO was.

Anita Bower
12-05-2010, 04:02 PM
It looks like this cattail was bathed with morning or evening sun, creating a bit too much brightness on one side and a bit too much darkness on the other. As suggested above, you could see what reworking the RAW conversion does. Or, use your Shadow/Highlights tool and see what it does. Nice sense of movement and glow!

Steve Maxson
12-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Hi Bill. I like the look of what you are trying to show here as well as the diagonal comp, though I would agree with Ken about the overexposed look. You have a number of good suggestions above to consider. I'm not sure I like the look of motion blur - especially at the tip of the cattail, but that is subjective - and a minority opinion it appears. :) Keep them coming.

Bill Randall
12-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Thanks everyone I appreciate the comments and suggestions. I'm not much of a macro guy and the wind here never seems to let up leading to far more disasters than successes.

Roman Kurywczak
12-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Hey Bill,
Can't add much to the above comments.....I see you have the SS and f-stop.....try to post as much other info....ISO. lens, and camera .....because we may be able to offer more suggestions for future trips out.