PDA

View Full Version : elephants at play

Deborah Harrison
12-04-2010, 07:27 PM
While staying the the Selinda area of Botswana we came across these two ellies playing. This is my personal favorite taken over a couple of hours. The light was at its worst but the action was fabulous.
Nikon 300S 500 F4 1/1000 f6.3 ISO 800

Any critiques appreciated!

Jeff Parker
12-04-2010, 08:27 PM
The light doesn't look that bad to me. Love the curled trunk on top of the smaller one's head.

Hilary Hann
12-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Lovely interaction between two happy elephants. Good pov and background but I think that considering the harsh lighting, the final image looks a little lacking in punch. Perhaps you have processed too much to eliminate the harshness and not left enough zing in the elephant skin. OR perhaps it is just my monitor! :o

Ken Watkins
12-05-2010, 12:05 AM
The light does not look that bad to me either, in fact it is bringing out the wrinkles very well.

Lorant Voros
12-05-2010, 02:00 AM
Adorable the bound these animals have between them. Very nice photo and I don't think the light is bad either. I'd give it a tad more room on the top though.Well done.

Lorant

Steve Kaluski
12-05-2010, 03:06 AM
Hi Deborah. I like the interaction and draped trunks and there is a good POV.

Based/looking at the file, I feel that you can get some more 'finer' details out of your image. Working a little in Shadow/Highlights, Brightness/Contrasted and a hint more sharpening there is some really nice detail and subtleties there.

TFS
Steve

PS Any hints/tips on Selinda welcome as that is the first camp I hit next year, cheers.

Deborah Harrison
12-05-2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks for your comments.
Steve - your advice is well taken, need to spend some time working with curves to bring out the best.

As for tips on Selinda - I would drop Grant Atkinson an email - he's well up on Botswana and knows most of the reserves intimately.

Rachel Hollander
12-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Very nice interaction captured, definite cuteness factor. Not sure if this is full frame but I think I would prefer a bit more room on top and also on the rhs so the entire ear is included, if you have it.

TFS,
Rachel

Todd Frost
12-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Great interaction captured here. Some good advice given above. I echo Rachel's thoughts re: more room above and entire ear of right ele, if you have it. All in all a very nice capture.
TFS
Todd

Morkel Erasmus
12-05-2010, 04:15 PM
lovely interaction and superbly framed here Deborah! light looks well handled - this would look sweet in B&W IMHO :)

Gen Benjamin
12-05-2010, 09:22 PM
As been said great interaction. I would love to see as B&W
Gen

Harshad Barve
12-07-2010, 03:41 AM
Very nice interaction captured, excellent image
TFS