PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Elem

Jay Sheinfield
12-04-2010, 05:41 PM
This is a telephoto shot of a Chinese Elm I came across at the local Botanical Gardens.

The image was about 12 feet high in the tree, showing the joint between the trunk and a large limb. The ULC is slighly OOF from the contours of the limb. I didn't crop it, because I like the flow, but maybe I should.

PP includes normal stuff with the addition of some color work to separate/highlight the various hues. Small crop eliminate BG skylight.

Nikon D3s
600mm
ISO 800
tripod mount
1/8 sec @f/22

Comments welcome....................

Dave Leroy
12-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Interesting looking shot.

I like the bark, but I am having a bit of a time seeing the joint. I can sort of see the curve happening in the urc.

Dave

Jay Sheinfield
12-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Yup, that curve is the only visible about the joint................

Ken Childs
12-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Jay, this is an interesting abstract! This tree sure has some awesome natural coloration! I know the orientation is correct as is but a CW rotation might look good. This one has some great potential for the OOTB forum....I bet it would look good with the Orton Effect. :)

Jay Sheinfield
12-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Ken,

thanks............I tried it with a glow and it does look surreal. Good idea on the rotation.

Anita Bower
12-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Glad to see you are taking more photos of bark. My first thought was a 180 degree rotation. Also, lightening up the currently upper third. How about high pass sharpen and/or saturation? Beautiful colors and patterns.

Jay Sheinfield
12-05-2010, 11:31 PM
Anita,

No matter what I've tried I can't the post to look sharp.........I'm sure its an operator problem:)

Anita Bower
12-06-2010, 04:54 AM
Anita,

No matter what I've tried I can't the post to look sharp.........I'm sure its an operator problem:)

Too bad. I hope this problem gets solved!

Steve Maxson
12-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Hi Jay. Nicely seen and photographed! You captured lots of interesting colors and patterns in this abstract. You might consider lightening some of the darker areas in the upper portion of the frame (as suggested above by Anita). :) Well done.

Roman Kurywczak
12-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Hey Jay,
I think this is cool!!! I like the idea of lightening some of the darker areas a touch.....or even going for bolder contrast......but overall the colors and patterns work nicely for me! This one has huge potential!....so worth tweaking but very nicely seen!!!