PDA

View Full Version : Reccomended BIF settings for Nikon D3 and D300s

Charles Mills
12-04-2010, 09:40 AM
I have thus far been unable to successfully structure a search for prior recommendations for BIF settings for the Nikon D3 and D300s. So, I'll just have to pose the question again. What are your reccomended BIF settings for a Nikon D3 and D300s?

Charles Mills
Ogden AR 71853

Bill Jobes
12-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Hi Charles,

Here's what I use successfully with my D3:

AF-C Priority: Release + Focus
AF-S Priority: Release
Dynamic AF Area: 21 (With cluttered backgrounds, I reduce it to 9 points)
(Some like the 3D 51-point tracking; I find it to be too slow)
Focus Tracking With Lock on: 1 (Short) (There are other opinions about this one)
AF Point Selection: 51 Points
I use the center-point crosshairs position on the three-way focus select switch on the back.

These work most reliably for me. Whenever I experiment with changes, I always come back to these settings.

Charles Mills
12-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks for your input Bill.

Reza Gorji
12-04-2010, 08:05 PM
If the bird is darker compared with the sky (usually it is), I use +0.3 to +0.5 ev compensation to brighten the bird.

James Shadle
12-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Dynamic AF Area: 9 point or 51 point 3D, always starting with the center sensor.
Focus Tracking With Lock on: Long
AF activated with shutter release.

Stuart Hill
12-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Hi James,

Could I ask why you prefer AF activation with shutter release. I've read alot of users prefer the AF-on button for focus lock.

kind regards.
Stu.

Desmond Chan
12-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Dynamic AF Area: 9 point or 51 point 3D, always starting with the center sensor.

Hey James, I didn't know that the "51 point 3D" actually works :) and so I never if not rarely used it. I think I'd give it a try.

Does it have to be coupled with these
AF Point Selection: 51 Points to work well?

Under what kind of situations you've found it work better than other options?

I don't use the AF button on the back as I like to be able to hold on to the camera as securedly as I can (shoot hand-held most of the time especially for BIF).

James Shadle
12-06-2010, 01:38 AM
Stuart: I use the shutter release so my thumb is available to change my exposure. If the tonality of my subject or there the light changes (I shoot manual exposure) I can acquire focus with the shutter release and adjust the exposure at the same time. Trigger finger never comes off the shutter release.

Desmond: I use 51 point 3D when I have good contrast between my background and subject.
What was a killer for most cameras, actually improves 51 point 3D AF.
Tracking a Roseate Spoonbill in front of a busy stand of mangroves or the sky is a great time to use 3D.

That said, if the Roseate Spoonbill flies over water, switch to 9 or 21 point ASAP.
The AF will likely pick up the reflection in 3D.

I have the function button programed so I can switch AF modes on the fly.

Paul Cooper
12-06-2010, 03:09 AM
AF activated with shutter release.

These are the settings I use on the D300s. On tripod I use the AF-on button, but that is rare. I find that handheld using the AF-on button my thumb will change the shutter speed wheel without me noticing. Shooting manual that can make you screw up a lot of shots.