Flash: Off
Metering mode: Spot
ISO: 500
Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x
Focal length: 700mm
full frame

pietipeppie
12-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Hups, in the Finland view very exotic species, but picture works very well.

ppie

Randy Stout
12-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Chris:

This is pretty cool. I don't believe I have ever seen a RWB blast off shot before. Were such flocks, blastoffs common?

Nicely captured, lots of fun to look at.

Cheers

Randy

Christopher Marek
12-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Chris:

This is pretty cool. I don't believe I have ever seen a RWB blast off shot before. Were such flocks, blastoffs common?

Nicely captured, lots of fun to look at.

Cheers

Randy
Yes Randy, very common. I posted this shot this morning, and have gotten plenty of views with no comments which has surprised me. Many of the photographers around me were trying to make (I assume) this shot and I would love to see other folks results. Most of my attempts were complete duds, an example of which I have added here, so it is not necessarily an easy shot, for me at least. It seems the trick is to get them immediately at blast off before they get spread to far apart, and hope they are banking somewhat toward you so you can see their red patches.

Christopher Marek
12-04-2010, 11:09 PM
Yes Randy, very common. I posted this shot this morning, and have gotten plenty of views with no comments which has surprised me. Many of the photographers around me were trying to make (I assume) this shot and I would love to see other folks results. Most of my attempts were complete duds, an example of which I have added here, so it is not necessarily an easy shot, for me at least. It seems the trick is to get them immediately at blast off before they get spread to far apart, and hope they are banking somewhat toward you so you can see their red patches.
And here is a flock at rest....