PDA

View Full Version : Red-backed Fairy-wren(girl)

Chris Martinez
12-04-2010, 03:45 AM
Decide to duck out in between showers today and see what I could find. As I walked along the path I spotted a pair of RBFWs. Unfortunately the male was hiding behind some stems of grass and I couldn't manage to get him in the clear. Luckily the female was nice enough to move out into the open which allowed me a few photos. One of their fledglings also popped out to say hi :D

1D MKIV, 600 IS, 1.4x II
ISO 800
1/640
f/7.1
0ev Evaluative

Cloned out a few stems of grass, smoothed out the BG
Increased contrast, reduced mid tones, selective sharpening of the bird.

Randy Stout
12-04-2010, 07:19 AM
Chis:

She is sharp, well exposed, nicely scaled perch, good catchlight.
The background displays her well, but is almost too smooth. I know that sounds funny, because we are always harping about clean backgrounds, but somehow I wish there was a bit more texture here.

If you have time, post the original, just so we can see where you started!

Thanks

Randy

Chris Martinez
12-04-2010, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the reply, Randy

..... as you requested :)

Randy Stout
12-04-2010, 07:49 AM
Chris:

I rather like some of the grasses, but their location isn't ideal for leaving in the image.
You didn't have the time, but if you could have gone a step or so to your right, to clear the tail of the grasses, I might have left them in.

One of the things that gets easier as you work at it longer is to be more aware of the background and perhaps move a bit more to do in camera editing, not needing to do so much in photoshop.
Sometimes, you just don't have time, so push the button, but when circumstances allow, a lot can be done in camera.

Cheers

Randy

Bill Dix
12-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Sweet bird, nicely captured and composed. Good critique by Randy. I do like some of the grasses but agree they are not in the best position. I realize that you already did some contrast boost and selective sharpening. My first reaction was that it could use just a bit more of both. But in any event, a lovely shot.

Sidharth Kodikal
12-04-2010, 12:14 PM
I love that dainty diagonal perch and the very cute bird on it. Nice comments above, but I also like this clean bg as is. Nice sharpness, details, and lovely comp and crop imo. Thanks for sharing.

Pieter de Waal
12-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Chris a lovely image of a delicate little bird. Good detailed feather pattern nicely captured.

Tim Munsey
12-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Simplicity, just how it should be, TFS

Tim

Chris Martinez
12-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the positive comments everyone!!:)

I do agree that some of the OOF grass in the background could have made a lovely scene but.......

Randy, If you notice to the right of and above the tail of the bird there are OOF stems of grass. If I moved to the right these would have more than likely obstructed the bird. The wind was blowing and grass was constantly moving around. This was my tiny window of clear, unobstructed cuteness. :D

Bill, you've answered a question I asked my self in regards to contrast.

Thanks again evreyone:)

Craig Brelsford
12-05-2010, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the original. I think you made the right decisions. You've ended up with a very simple shot, and yes I'd like some "texture" too, but as has been noted the grass wasn't placed optimally. Randy's suggestion about composing in the field is heed-worthy. Over time, one acquires an instinct.