PDA

View Full Version : A slice of the Great Colorado.

Rob Miner
12-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Camera Model: NIKON D2Xs
Firmware: Adobe Photoshop CS3 Windows
Shutter speed: 1/320 sec
Aperture: 8
Exposure mode: Av
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 100
Lens: 12 to 24mm
Focal length: 12mm
Focal length: 18mm (in 35mm film)
Image size: 1024 x 680
White balance: Auto
Color space: AdobeRGB
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Low
Contrast: Low
Color profile: ProPhoto RGB

Critiques and suggestions appreciated.

Rob...............

Dave Mills
12-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Hi Rob, Nice view with the trees anchoring the sides.
A few things. I would crop the top down to the larger mass of dark leaves on the left and would have included more of the tree on the left.
I would take out the small clipped rock on the lower rt. Finally the flat light isn't helping the image and would have tried to take this when the light was warmer(early or late)

Roman Kurywczak
12-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Hey Rob,
Dave nailed my crop suggestions as well as the rock on the LL. I too agree with the light suggestion.....those light situations will make the most of a very difficult place to photograph.

Andrew McLachlan
12-04-2010, 06:29 PM
Hi Rob, I agree with the previously mentioned suggestions. Looks like a fabulous location.

Jay Gould
12-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Rob, if you have Nik Viveza, you can put control points on the mountains only and the sky only, and cause them to pop or whatever else you might want to do.

With the mountains, for example, I would put one control point directly in the center and set the circumference to just encompass the rocks. After you have the main rocks the way you want you simply duplicate the control point and move the duplicate to cover another portion of the rocks. As you move the duplicate point you will see the rocks change. Simply make the circle smaller as the rocks image narrows.

Same for the sky.

Sometime I have 20 or more duplicate control points to cover a particularly long narrow area.

Works a charm!

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Very cool place just need a few tweaks as suggested

Rob Miner
12-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Hey, Jay I wanted to say Thanks for your comments on this picture. I downloaded Viviza 2 today to see what I can accomplish.

A week ago, you had a thread that asked, "What do you do when you have umteen thousand shots and seem lost as to why you should keep taking them." I am retired, 71yrs old and fast accumulating pictures. Although I don't join clubs, sell photos, or enter compatitions I maintain my enthusiam by shooting a given scene or bird many, many times - seeking that majical moment. I quess that it would be more fun is I had an interested partner to share with, but as long as BPN puts up with me I have a forum.

Rember only you can take a picture of that majical moment. I hope you do and I look forward to you sharing it with us. I look forward to your travel tales, pictures and comments.

Rob....................

Rob Miner
12-05-2010, 06:36 PM
SORRY FOLKS - MONITOR IS GOING DOWN. Will resubmit later.

Rob.............