PDA

View Full Version : Give a Dog a Bone

Ken Watkins
12-03-2010, 08:16 AM
Taken whilst staying at Kwando Lagoon ( based on history and experience probably the best places for Wild Dog sightings), Northern Botswana, 30th December 2008.

We arrived about 2 minutes too late after they had killed a large male Impalla and dragged it from the water, but at least we knew where they would be for the rest of the day.

EOS 1D MkIII

500mm F4 IS hand-held from open game viewing vehicle.

F6.3. ISO 800, 1/1000

Todd Frost
12-04-2010, 11:48 AM
30 views and no comments :(, everyone must be out shooting.
Nice close up of what they do best, well exposed and plenty sharp. I like the green grass as a bg as it makes the wd stand out so well. Great sighting, well done.
TFS
Todd

Deborah Harrison
12-04-2010, 07:07 PM
Nice tight shot, and beautiful lighting in the eyes.

>>but at least we knew where they would be for the rest of the day.>> My experience, although limited, with wild dogs has found that they devour their prey within minutes and then back to the hunt...

Ken Watkins
12-04-2010, 11:43 PM
30 views and no comments :(,

Oh well it certainly appears to have been a quiet day, thanks for getting the ball rolling Todd.:cheers:

Deborah,

This was large Impalla Ram, plenty enough for 6 adults and 5 six month old cubs, I have seen the sort of behaviour you describe only when the get small snacks such as newly born Impalla

Rachel Hollander
12-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Ken - I like the portrait comp of this and the eyes of the dog. I might blur the bg a bit so that the blades are not so pronounced.

TFS,
Rachel

Harshad Barve
12-07-2010, 03:44 AM
Ken this is awesome image and my fav from your recent postings :cheers::cheers::cheers:
TFS