PDA

View Full Version : A couple of D300 Questons

Michael P. Centanni
03-16-2008, 07:42 AM
Trying to set-up my D300 using the spreadsheet that was posted on a previouse post. Excellant and easy to use.Thanks again!
Anyway, a couple of things I have picked out.Custom setting E5 auto bracketing set says to leave at default of AE & flash, I don't understand this, exactly what does this mean?
Then that would follow to E6, Auto bracketing in M mode, says leave at default of Flash/Speed, not sure I understand this either??

Also, should I use WB auto? Or ISO auto? I have them turned off now. WB can be fixed later in Lightroom which I use mostly but what about ISO Auto, is there an advantage in using it??

I am not much of a Bird photographer here, but I would think that most of the Outside stuff I take the same rules apply. These days a lot of fast action with our new puppy and his older sister in the backyard:D. But they are great to practice on!!!!

BTW- George thanks for the great advice for setting up the SB-800 on a previous post, cleared up a lot of stuff me also.

Any info is appreciated!!!

Jared Lloyd
03-16-2008, 10:49 AM
The auto WB on mine typically produces either garrishly yellow photos, or bland blueish tinted ones. I find that for the vast majority of situations, I set mine to cloudy b6 and have great results -sunny and cloudy.

Jim Fenton
03-17-2008, 01:29 PM
The one thing I really like about the D300 OUTSIDE is that AW seems to work exceedingly well.

Indoors, it's like any other cameras AW :)

Michael Yessik
03-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Auto ISO can be very useful. If you need a certain shutter speed for action, you can set fix the shutter speed in S mode, or both shutter and aperture in Manual mode, and turn on Auto ISO to automatically increase the ISO to give you optimum exposure. You can set the maximum ISO for it to set automatically (most people are happy up to 1600 if it's the only way to get the shot), and you can set the minimum shutter speed. Try it in low light when you need high shutter speed!

Harold Davis
03-17-2008, 04:12 PM
michael, i agree with jared on the WB. set mine to cloudy and i dont ever mess with color adjustments.

monte stinnett
03-24-2008, 10:39 PM
Hi Michael, I have the D3 and shoot with auto ISO all the time picking my shutterspeed and apereture manually. I didn't see where u could set the maximum ISO though, I'll have to check that out. Also, in using flash(SB 800) it seems that ISO defaults to manual, even though it is set to auto.