PDA

View Full Version : Ransom Lake first snow

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-02-2010, 08:01 PM
We had our first snow of the year (about month and a half late) but it is ok with me as when snow gets here it stays 5 months. Always like first snow as great time for BW.

Canon Mark IV
16-35 canon lens
100 iso
5.0 sec@ f/22
tripod with rrs head
exposure 0

Dave Mills
12-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Hi Dennis,good conversion and I like the fact i can see detail in the foreground snow. The branch,while coming from the corner IMO isn't a strong leading line and also has competition with the objects below the ice.To my eye the image does appear a bit soft in the backround.
The scene does give off a somber mood.....

Roman Kurywczak
12-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Hey Dennis,
Dave is correct that this has a somber mood to it and B&W is a good choice. I too don't feel the branch is that strong of a line but it does do the job. I do think you can go into the trees and bring out some more texture and detail in there and as the central horizon is a bit bright....toning it down with a multiplied layer may do the trick. I'm out here in Arches and they got some snow a few days ago.....so you getting it this late is really late! I think a few tweaks will take this up a notch or 2.

Andrew McLachlan
12-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Hi Dennis,

Agree with the above suggestions/comments. It looks great in black and white. Nice to see the line of ice in the lake as it is beginning to freeze over. Not much snow here in central Ontario yet - about an inch last night, but that's it.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Thanks everybody for your help and here is the image with the tweaks. Thanks again