PDA

View Full Version : Antrim Lake Sunrise

Andrew McLachlan
12-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Sunrise at Antrim Lake in Ontario's Halfway Lake Provincial Park from last August. Used a combo of Nik's "Tonal Contrast" and Viveza 2 to bring out a bit more detail in the clouds and the rays of the sun.

Nikon D200
18-70mm lens @ 27mm (40mm effective focal length)
ISO 100
f16 @ 1.6 sec.
2-stop Singh Ray grad-filter

Look forward to all comments.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-02-2010, 07:55 PM
I like the sun rays streaking though the clouds of pink hues, did you try any with the log on the left to give you foreground more interest. NIce comp.

Dave Mills
12-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Hi Andrew, good comp along with detail in all areas. The grasses work well as a foreground with proper space given to a dramatic sky. The light rays,while subtle, add another element of interest.
At first glance I thought the image had a magenta caste throughout but I'm sure that sky threw that color everywhere. Wondering if the log on the rt might be a slight distraction. Well handled...

Andrew McLachlan
12-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks for comments guys. Here is a repost with the log removed. I too thought it may be a slight distraction - thanks for thinking the same. I also cleaned up the merge between foreground grasses and forest reflection and tweaked the cast a touch with Nik's Color cast Removal filter.

Dave Mills
12-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Good job Andrew

Roman Kurywczak
12-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Hey Andrew,
Greetings from Arches NP. Nice job ont he repost as it took care of the issues I was having also. T me this looks a bit HDR'ish and I don't mind that .....wonder if it is from the Nik stuff? Overall ......while this has no center of interest....it has a pleasing overall look. Nicely done!

Andrew McLachlan
12-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Thanks Dave and Roman for the additional comments. Much appreciated.

Roman, Nik's Tonal Contrast gives it the slight HDR look. It helped to bring a little more attention to the rays of the sun. Looking forward to seeing some of your snowy, arches nightscapes.