PDA

View Full Version : Green Heron

Joey Lounsbury
12-02-2010, 04:24 PM
This photo was taken from a kayak in the Tarpon Bay Wildlife Sanctuary. My family and I rented a kayak to course the marsh looking for birds. I spotted two Green Herons, one of which I was able to photograph. The second one was secluded deep in the brush along the water. I was able to get within 5 feet of the bird! This bird was a life bird for me and it was very cool to see it up close for my first time!

Taken with a Nikon D40 and Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR lens @ 220mm.
(1/200, f/5.6, ISO 200, Handheld.)

http://www.jlounsburyphoto.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Green-Heron.jpg

Daniel Cadieux
12-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Hey Joey, welcome to BPN!!

Strong image overall. Lots of details, and well exposed. I love the perch covered with barnacles, very cool. Colours look muted as posted, but I notice you didn't post this in sRGB - most people won't see the colours as you intended them to be.

Comp-wise, I'd prefer a true vertical with some off at left, or otherwise with more room around. Good stuff, looking forward to more from you!

Joey Lounsbury
12-03-2010, 06:33 AM
Thanks Daniel!

Next time I will post inn sRGB. Sorry about that.

I do agree with you about more room around the bird. This image was not cropped, so I couldn't really do anything about it. I wish I had included more of the perch in the image as well.

I look forward to posting more images. This looks like a really good place to learn!

Joey