PDA

View Full Version : Gear choices

Sidharth Kodikal
12-01-2010, 12:56 PM
My primary interest is bird photography and I currently use a Canon 50D and a 300 f2.8 L IS (mostly with a canon 2x tc).
My initial plan was to stick with this gear until I can prove to myself:
a) that bird photography is a serious hobby for me and not just a fad
b) that I can do something worthwhile with my existing gear (in terms of keeper images taken)

I have confirmed (a) above (birding/bird photography has turned into a serious addiction).
I have not achieved (b) yet, however, my wife insists on buying me some photography gear for Christmas :)

Once upon a time, the choice was obvious for me - get a 500 f4 L. But now that I have to make a decision, I'm scratching my head. I am very happy with the portability that my lens gives me, but not so happy with the noise in my 50D above iso 400.

So, I'm wondering, upgrade the camera or upgrade the lens?
Get a new camera now (1d4/5d2) and wait for the new 500/600 coming next year (hoping the price jump isn't too big), OR buy a new 500/600mm OR buy a used 1d3/5d2 and a used 500mm.
Other thought is to stay the course until I achieve (b) above, but the offer is too tempting to restrain :p

I completely understand that nobody can make the choice for me and that I have to exercise due diligence, but I figured any thoughts shared by the experts here might help me decide.

Ian Cassell
12-01-2010, 01:00 PM
One other thing to consider is that Canon has announced an upgrade for the 500 f/4. If you are planning to buy that lens, you might consider waiting for the new beast (although there is a risk that the price will go way up on the new one).

EDIT ... Ooops ... you already said that ... sorry ... :(

Sid Garige
12-01-2010, 02:44 PM
Sidharth,

Since you already got the reach with 300&2x and happy with new body can be a good option. 1D4/5DMII will give you superior image quality compared to 50d.

Also, not sure at what price canon is going to list new 500 at. I suspect some where close to Nikon 500mm VR price. Another thing to consider.

Ben_Sadd
12-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Hi Sidharth,

It sounds like a nice dilemma to have.

If you are mainly into birds (you say addicted), then the 5D mk2 would not make much sense to me, as it is full frame.

I would also think about waiting until the new 500mm comes out but not necessarily to get one of them. I expect that that current 500mm will go down in price, but just because it has been replaced doesn't make this fantastic lens instantaneously into a bad one. This was my own original plan, but then I came across an offer that I could not refuse on a 500mm.

If you do not have one already, another thing to consider to put on your Christmas list that may help you increase you keepers is a good solid quality tripod.

Chris Brennan
12-01-2010, 11:42 PM
I would recommend picking up a Canon 7D.... It's phenomenal camera with series 1-like camera features but at a reasonable cost; exceptional AF, very low noise up to and including ISO 800, and 8 frames per second.
I use a 7D with a 400mm f4 +1.4x converter and am thrilled with the results!

Chris Martinez
12-02-2010, 06:39 AM
Awesome decision to have to make but also a tricky one :confused:
I think if I was in your shoes and I was once(kind of) I had the 300/2.8 and a 5D MKII. I went for the 1D MKIV first then soon after I upgraded my lens to the 600/4 IS.

My suggestion is go for the 1D and see what eventuates when the new super teles are released :cool:

Julie Brown
12-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Hi Sidharth,

You did not mention if your wife had a price limit on the gear she would buy you. The difference between a new 5D MK II camera and a 500 f4L IS is $2500 vs $6100. I have the 5D MKII and I can tell you that it is a fantastic performer with high ISO, and the full frame 21 megapixel sensor gives outstanding image quality, IMO. I frequently rent the 300 f2.8L IS with a 2X TC and put this combo on a monopod with a RRS monopod head. I don't think you can beat the portability of the 300 f2.8. Whatever you decide, it sounds like you are going to have a great Christmas!:)

BTW, the new version of the 300 f2.8L IS is going to be $7000, if that gives you any idea of what the new 500 price might be.

Josée Normandeau
12-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Hi,

Here is my own story, it might help you since it looks a little bit like yours... :o

I had a 40D with a 300 2.8 that I used primarily with TC 2X for birds. I was very happy.

Then I bought a used MkIII, upgraded it to a new Mk IV and recently sold my 300 to buy a used but almost brand new 500 for a very fair price. I am now totally in love with my MkIV and my 500. :)

I knew that I could never afford the new 500 so I'm happy with an ''old-but-sharp-as-a-razor'' 500...

David Stephens
12-02-2010, 04:40 PM
Have you got a great tripod and gimbal rig? Shooting at 600mm without such a setup might explain, in part, your failure so far to achieve goal B.

I DO have the 500/f4 rig with a 7D and I'm very pleased, but I think that a large part of the credit goes to my Induro C414 tripod/Arca-Swiss Z1 ballhead/Wimberley Sidekick combination. The 1.4xTC stays on most of the time.

I applaud your approach to testing your seriousness. I did much the same thing when I bought my 400/f5.6. Once I realized that I was hooked and taking thousands of images per month I started to figure out ways to afford the 500/f4.

BTW, the 7D is an excellent body for birds, but so is the MkIV, particularly if you don't mind the added bulk. Both are major steps up from your 40D. I own the 7D and the 5D2, but I use the 7D for 99% of my bird shots.

Alan Lillich
12-02-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm going to toss in a completely different suggestion. Your problem with b is more likely you than gear. Although as a Nikon user I don't know anything about the 50D, so maybe a new 7D is a good idea.

The 300 2.8 is a fabulous lens, and still darned good with a 1.4 or 2x TC, a lot of versatility. Keep it and learn to use it well. Spend money now on good workshops. Make them into trips both you and your wife can enjoy. Buy an expensive lens later if your bird obsession is real. Consider renting a 500 or 800 for a workshop if the leader says they will work better than your 300.

Sidharth Kodikal
12-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks a bunch for all the input.
I will sleep on it a couple days before deciding and will post and update when I make up my mind :)
Thanks again everyone, for taking the time to respond.

Jeff Parker
12-05-2010, 06:20 PM
I second the workshop idea. Also, do you have/use a tripod?

Sabyasachi Patra
12-07-2010, 08:22 AM
Sidharth,
The new 500mm f4 L IS II USM is not likely to be priced lower than 8.5k USD. Availability would be another issue.

One can't put a price tag on Passion. It is you who has to make the decision. One thing to remember, camera bodies come and go. Lens will last for a long time. Also, the native 500mm will AF faster than a 300mm plus TC.

If it is too much of a decision, then just go on an expensive safari. You won't regret that either. :)
Cheers,
Sabyasachi