PDA

View Full Version : Bosque Twofer

Doug Brown
12-01-2010, 11:47 AM
It's not unusual to get more than one Crane in an image at the Bosque. But to get two in the same focal plane in good light, with opposing wing positions, requires a bit more luck.

Canon 1D Mark IV, 600mm, f/6.3, 1/2000, ISO 400, manual exposure, hand held

Andrew Merwin
12-01-2010, 12:45 PM
"...requires a bit more luck."

There is no such thing as luck,
It is simply a matter of pluck. :)

I totally agree with the opposing wing positions & the same focal plane. I like this a lot. A beautiful & well captured image. The complimentary BG adds to the image.

Stu Bowie
12-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Doug, well done on getting both in perfect focus, and both tack sharp too. The light looks great, together with the overall colours. The opposite wing positions puts this over the top. I would maybe add a little to the top.

Marina Scarr
12-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Don't you just love it when it all falls together like this. You see it but to actually capture it in this kind of light with a nice clean BG takes luck...and I am sure it doesn't hurt to live so close!

Happy shooting!

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Doug, you said it yourself...getting two ones right is much more difficult than one. Perfect DOF and wing positions, bird angles as mentioned. Light always seems fantastic in Bosque shots. Thx for sharing...its a winner.

Pieter de Waal
12-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Great double on this image Doug. Lovely light and handheld 600mm - very impressive.

Allen Sparks
12-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Very well done. As has already been said, love the contrary wing positions. 600mm hand held....nice!

Danny J Brown
12-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Two for the price of one....and no overlap! Great light and color and always an interesting species to look at. Thanks Doug.

DB

Bhushan Dalvi
12-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Great capture. Love the wing positions and the BG.

Craig Brelsford
12-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Everything clicked here, Doug. Great piece of work. I notice that you hand-held your lens. Were you walking around with the machine in your hands, looking for opportunities, or did you detach the lens from your tripod when you saw the cranes coming? I'd think that if the former, you'd have to condition yourself to carrying the heavy lens, which is itself an accomplishment.

Doug Brown
12-01-2010, 11:30 PM
I notice that you hand-held your lens. Were you walking around with the machine in your hands, looking for opportunities, or did you detach the lens from your tripod when you saw the cranes coming? I'd think that if the former, you'd have to condition yourself to carrying the heavy lens, which is itself an accomplishment.

With the exception of my Costa Rica workshops, I do all of my work with the 600mm hand held. I don't even bring a tripod with me when I travel. At the Bosque I keep a tripod in the car for sunrise shots but that's it. The 600 takes some getting used to, but I hardly ever use the 500 anymore.

Craig Brelsford
12-02-2010, 12:48 AM
With the exception of my Costa Rica workshops, I do all of my work with the 600mm hand held. I don't even bring a tripod with me when I travel. At the Bosque I keep a tripod in the car for sunrise shots but that's it. The 600 takes some getting used to, but I hardly ever use the 500 anymore.

Fascinating, Doug. Thanks. I'd like to see you in action.

Christopher Marek
12-02-2010, 01:48 AM
It's not unusual to get more than one Crane in an image at the Bosque. But to get two in the same focal plane in good light, with opposing wing positions, requires a bit more luck.

Canon 1D Mark IV, 600mm, f/6.3, 1/2000, ISO 400, manual exposure, hand held

I find it incredible that a shot like this could be done hand held. It is as sharp as any tripod mounted camera. My only wish would be that the splash of dark background was not there. The leading cranes' legs are somewhat lost in it.

James Salywoda
12-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Excellent Shot! I like the wings up and down perfect separation and having both birds flying on the same focus plane and getting both tack sharp is superb.

Kiran Poonacha
12-02-2010, 11:24 AM
beautiful doug bhai.. you said it all.. nicely done...

Kristin Brown
12-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Wonderful shot Doug. Perfect opposing wing positions, separation and sharpness. I like the crop you did on this photo. It works well. Congratulations!

Doug Brown
12-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment!