PDA

View Full Version : White-striped Longtail Skipper

Jim Bridges
12-01-2010, 11:07 AM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:RelyOnVML/> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> I would have loved to get more photos of this one since I don't see them very often, but at least I got one in my butterfly files.:) Found this little guy one morning in the prairie area before it started the day. Made this with a Nikkor AF 75-300 and 20 mm tube @ ISO 100 250 mm f13 1/4 sec. ss on a tripod at ground level.

Steve Maxson
12-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Hi Jim. A cool looking skipper - we don't see these up here. Nice job getting both the head and "tails" in the DOF. I like the curving leaf and the dew drops are a plus. I also like how the image clearly shows the bend at the end of the antenna that is characteristic of skippers. On my monitor it looks like the white stripe is blown - maybe the original has some detail you can salvage there (?). In terms of comp, I think the image would be stronger if the skipper was facing toward us rather than away and I think I would prefer a little more room on the right (if you have it) and perhaps a little less on the left. :) (I know from experience that if you are using a tripod, it can be difficult to make these small movements to adjust the comp without disturbing your subject.)

Ken Childs
12-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Hey Jim, this is a great find! We supposedly get normal Long-tailed Skippers in my area but I have yet to see one.

A step to the right might have got a better angle on the overall butterfly but I can see that due to that long tail, you didn't have much choice if you wanted to capture the entire bfly....the curved leaf would have blocked the tail. The BG looks good as is but you might consider lightening up or painting over the dark areas near the top with a soft, low opacity brush. I agree with Steve's suggestion of more room on the right if you have it but if you do, it looks like it's getting brighter as you go to the right so you may have to tone down that area. The white stripe does look blown but I can't say for sure that is since I've never seen one of this species. I see the same thing happening on Silver-spotted Skipper shots but that's because their white patch really is WHITE and doesn't have much, if any detail.

Jim Bridges
12-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Hi Jim. A cool looking skipper - we don't see these up here. Nice job getting both the head and "tails" in the DOF. I like the curving leaf and the dew drops are a plus. I also like how the image clearly shows the bend at the end of the antenna that is characteristic of skippers. On my monitor it looks like the white stripe is blown - maybe the original has some detail you can salvage there (?). In terms of comp, I think the image would be stronger if the skipper was facing toward us rather than away and I think I would prefer a little more room on the right (if you have it) and perhaps a little less on the left. :) (I know from experience that if you are using a tripod, it can be difficult to make these small movements to adjust the comp without disturbing your subject.)

Hey Jim, this is a great find! We supposedly get normal Long-tailed Skippers in my area but I have yet to see one.

A step to the right might have got a better angle on the overall butterfly but I can see that due to that long tail, you didn't have much choice if you wanted to capture the entire bfly....the curved leaf would have blocked the tail. The BG looks good as is but you might consider lightening up or painting over the dark areas near the top with a soft, low opacity brush. I agree with Steve's suggestion of more room on the right if you have it but if you do, it looks like it's getting brighter as you go to the right so you may have to tone down that area. The white stripe does look blown but I can't say for sure that is since I've never seen one of this species. I see the same thing happening on Silver-spotted Skipper shots but that's because their white patch really is WHITE and doesn't have much, if any detail.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:RelyOnVML/> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Thanks for the comments Steve and Ken. I haven't seen another since I found this guy. I was shooting with another member here on the forum Patti Edens the morning I found this guy at BBSP and I think she may have got a few photos of it too...been so long ago I don't remember. It's always fun to find new subjects and get a few photos then at least you know they are in the area I just have to find them again sometime...:)

Thomas Herou
12-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Fantasic butterfly!
The raindrops looks beautiful and the colors are great.
Maybe,as said earlier,a little more space to the right had balanced the comp
a bit more.

Thomas

Roman Kurywczak
12-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Hey Jim,
Still in Arches NP running around at night....so a bit late to the party. I think the advice given above by Ken and Steve is excellent. Still a cool find so if you have the room up front......that's the way to go.