PDA

View Full Version : Blue Tit (Parus caeruleus)

Humberto Ramos
12-01-2010, 06:53 AM

Canon 7D+Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8+ Sigma 1.4 TC
1/800, f/6.3, ISO 400, 420mm

Randy Stout
12-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Humberto:

A pretty bird, interesting pose, well exposed.
It is an interesting perch, but I feel that several of the elements, cone and leaves are dominant enough that they distract from the bird. You can tone them down a bit, which should help.
I might even consider cropping just above the cone and cloning out the part of leaf above after the crop.

Cheers

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
12-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Nice colours and sharpness. Excellent B. For me the pose, although interesting, is not ideal...too much of a body merge on the branch, and the HA could be better (I'd prefer it looking away more). Did you use flash?

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-01-2010, 01:42 PM
Humberto, very pretty bird and I like the cone a lot. its helping the balance. Nice colors and BG. Flash is a little strong for my tastes.

Humberto Ramos
12-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Nice colours and sharpness. Excellent B. For me the pose, although interesting, is not ideal...too much of a body merge on the branch, and the HA could be better (I'd prefer it looking away more). Did you use flash?

Yes I used flash, but the original photo was a bit underexposed, maybe I overexposed too much..

Danny J Brown
12-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Humberto,

Good comments from the moderators on this one. The shot was a little problematic, I think, but you did a great job of getting the best out of it. Cones can be tough because I've taken a lot of shots with cones and snow-covered cones and then when I look at them, the beautiful cone seems to be a little of a distraction. Keep working at it and we'll learn a thing or two from you on this combination. This little bird, by the way, has the neatest combination of blue and yellow-green color.....fascinating. Thanks.

DB

Daniel Cadieux
12-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Yes I used flash, but the original photo was a bit underexposed, maybe I overexposed too much..

Thanks, and yes that is why I asked. The subject and perch just seem a little bright.

Craig Brelsford
12-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Thanks, Humberto, for one of the few images I've seen here of the blue tit, one of the most beloved and well-known birds of Western Europe. I feel a connection to this photo also because I started out using your Sigma lens, and I know its limitations and capabilities. The commenters above me make a lot of good points.

Humberto Ramos
12-02-2010, 05:51 AM
<style>.wysiwyg { BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f3f7f9 } BODY.wysiwyg { PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-RIGHT: 2px; PADDING-TOP: 2px } .wysiwyg HR.previewbreak { BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: red; HEIGHT: 6px; COLOR: red; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none } .wysiwyg { FONT: 13px Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif } .wysiwyg.content { FONT: 13px Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif } .wysiwyg.forum { FONT: 13px Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif } .wysiwyg P { MARGIN: 0px } .wysiwyg .inlineimg { VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle } .wysiwyg IMG.previewthumb { MARGIN: 1px; WIDTH: auto !important; MAX-WIDTH: 150px; HEIGHT: auto !important; MAX-HEIGHT: 150px } .wysiwyg OL.decimal LI { LIST-STYLE-POSITION: outside; LIST-STYLE-TYPE: decimal } .wysiwyg OL.upper-roman LI { LIST-STYLE-POSITION: outside; LIST-STYLE-TYPE: upper-roman } .wysiwyg OL.lower-roman LI { LIST-STYLE-POSITION: outside; LIST-STYLE-TYPE: lower-roman } .wysiwyg OL.upper-alpha LI { LIST-STYLE-POSITION: outside; LIST-STYLE-TYPE: upper-alpha } .wysiwyg OL.lower-alpha LI { LIST-STYLE-POSITION: outside; LIST-STYLE-TYPE: lower-alpha } .wysiwyg IMG.previewthumbactive { BORDER-BOTTOM: red 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: red 1px solid; MARGIN: 0px; BORDER-TOP: red 1px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: red 1px solid } .wysiwyg_block { MARGIN-BOTTOM: 10px } .wysiwyg_block .blockrow:first-child { BACKGROUND: url(http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/images/gradients/gradient-greytowhite.png) repeat-x left top } .wysiwyg_block IFRAME.textbox { BORDER-BOTTOM: #6b91ab 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #6b91ab 1px solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; BACKGROUND: #f3f7f9; BORDER-TOP: #6b91ab 1px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #6b91ab 1px solid } .wysiwyg_block .formcontrols .blockrow { BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px } </style>Thank you all for your comments, will try to correct this one and try to do better next time...