PDA

View Full Version : Big Leaf Hydrangea

Anita Bower
12-01-2010, 06:10 AM
I was delighted to find blue flowers during my recent visit to Longwood Gardens Conservatory.

Nikon D300, Sigma 105mm macro, f18, 1/3 sec. ISO 160, manual exposure, manual focus, tripod, natural light.

PP: Topaz In Focus, PS7--levels, curves, contrast, saturation, dodge/burn used with masks.

C & C always welcome.

Ken Childs
12-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Hi Anita, I love the colors you captured here! Is this really what the flowers looked like? There's something about this that doesn't look quite natural, IMHO....it almost looks like it was treated with Orton and maybe a light texture. Don't get me wrong because I do like it. :)

Steve Maxson
12-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Hi Anita. Very cool blue on blue colors! I'm not a flower guy so I can't comment on whether the colors look realistic, but they are very nice, as presented. As a minor tweak, you might consider taking a little off the right side, though that's pretty subjective on my part. :) Well done.

Anita Bower
12-01-2010, 07:08 PM
This is pretty much what they looked like. Blue Hydrangeas always look a bit unnatural to me. I did increase saturation. I did not do an Orton nor add a texture. I did run it through Topaz InFocus, but it didn't change much to my eyes (I just went back and checked it). I appreciate your comment and wonder what is off for you.

Anita Bower
12-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Hi Anita. Very cool blue on blue colors! I'm not a flower guy so I can't comment on whether the colors look realistic, but they are very nice, as presented. As a minor tweak, you might consider taking a little off the right side, though that's pretty subjective on my part. :) Well done.

Thanks. I wondered about the right side of the image. I just experimented with cropping some off, and I think it is an improvement. I think I will also try lightening that side a bit.

Jay Sheinfield
12-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Hi Anita,

Super shot. Making sense out of this many flowers in one comp is a great work. Nice colors..........................

Anita Bower
12-05-2010, 04:59 AM
Hi Anita,

Super shot. Making sense out of this many flowers in one comp is a great work. Nice colors..........................

Thanks, Jay.

Julie Kenward
12-05-2010, 06:24 PM
I saw this on your website...gorgeous colors! And yes - this IS what they look like, all twisted together in every direction with everything from soft blue to vibrant purple. They are one of my favorite bushes!

Anita Bower
12-05-2010, 06:34 PM
I saw this on your website...gorgeous colors! And yes - this IS what they look like, all twisted together in every direction with everything from soft blue to vibrant purple. They are one of my favorite bushes!

Thanks, Jules. Today I posted a pastel version on my blog. :-)

Roman Kurywczak
12-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Hey Anita,
Sorry for the late reply....still in Arches NP running around at night!
I know thi svariety well and it is beautiful! I like the crop suggestion.....mostly because of all the different petals and angles. A difficult subject.....which I think you made work nicely....and the crop will take it up a notch for me. Overall.....very nicely done!

Ken Childs
12-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Hi Anita, after reading all the replies, I have to assume that I need to get up close and personal with some BLUE Hydrangeas so I know what they look like! :)

Anita Bower
12-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Hey Anita,
Sorry for the late reply....still in Arches NP running around at night!
I know thi svariety well and it is beautiful! I like the crop suggestion.....mostly because of all the different petals and angles. A difficult subject.....which I think you made work nicely....and the crop will take it up a notch for me. Overall.....very nicely done!

Thanks. I've cropped it but am not posting it again.

Anita Bower
12-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Hi Anita, after reading all the replies, I have to assume that I need to get up close and personal with some BLUE Hydrangeas so I know what they look like! :)

Ken: I think this one is a bit oversaturated. :-)