PDA

View Full Version : Cheetah

Lorant Voros
12-01-2010, 05:12 AM
This was taken on our first day in Etosha, an hour after we drove through the gate. 2 of these cheetahs spotted something and chased it for a while. Later on looking at the photos we were surprised to see that it was an aardwolf; a rear sighting. Unfortunatelly no good photo was taken from that hunt. This was my first wild cheetah sighting as well.

7D
500mm +1.4TC
ISO400
F:4
1/500
handleld from the car, rested on the window

Ken Watkins
12-01-2010, 05:29 AM
Lorant,

What a good welcome to Etosha.

We have been there at least 7 times and have seen a Cheetah once, but then I know someone who saw15 together and has very poor video to prove it. (such gatherings are scientifically recorded).

I would crop a lot from the top taking out all of the lighter sky.

Look forward to more, great place:cheers::cheers:

Grant Atkinson
12-01-2010, 07:05 AM
Hi Lorant, this is a nice portrait in habitat for me. I like the light on the neck and rump, and the nicely focused grass stalks in front of the cat. Also liked the layered sky BG, and depth and colours in this image.
You did well to get this.
Cheers
Grant

Marc Mol
12-01-2010, 07:22 AM
Love the BG, pose and overall lighting here Lorant.
An Aardwolf you say, now that would have been something very special indeed.:D
TFS

Todd Frost
12-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Nice sighting and pose. Like the expanse of habitat shown here, with nice color throughout image. Well done.
TFS
Todd

Stu Bowie
12-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Congrats on your first cheetah sighting. I live in Africa and dont have a cheetah image:o Good attentive pose and I like the colours. I agree to take a bit off the top, and feel this needs a very slight CCW rotation.

Lorant Voros
12-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments.

Here is a not too good shot of the hunt, but wanted to show the aardwolf. My friend Michel who was in the car with me has better ones, but he isn't on this forum :-(.

Steve Canuel
12-01-2010, 09:01 PM
I like the soft light and pastel colors. Its a nice simple image of an animal in its habitat. I like Ken's idea of taking some off the top. Maybe make the lighter portion the same width as the slightly darker band. The hunt picture doesn't look to bad to me either.

Hilary Hann
12-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Love the OP, beautiful light and sense of place to this image. Personally I like the background and wouldn't crop, but that is just my personal taste.

The aardwolf hunt is something quite extraordinary, even just seeing one is exciting. Thanks for sharing the image. Ask your friend to join! :)

Ken Watkins
12-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Lorant,

An AArdvark as well the chances of this are so remote it is hard to believe.

Ken Watkins
12-02-2010, 01:21 AM
Oops I have done it again I meant Ardwolf:2eyes2:

John Ippolito
12-02-2010, 01:28 AM
Lorant, that is an awsome sequence with the aardwolf chase! Wow !!

Morkel Erasmus
12-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Lorant - wow, sorry I'm late to the party on this one. First off that was an awesome welcoming sighting to Etosha...but having the cheetah chasing an aardwolf?? :2eyes2::p I've only seen an Aardwolf twice in my life and never near enough to photograph...and I LIVE in Africa :2eyes2:

love the space and light and composition. thanks also for sharing the chase shot - I'd be happy with that!

Harshad Barve
12-07-2010, 03:55 AM
You gotta love this
TFS