PDA

View Full Version : Snow Storm

Patrick Sparkman
11-30-2010, 10:26 PM
I was lucky enough to be on Artie and Denise's first "Blurry Day in Bosque" IPT this weekend. This is one of many images that I liked from that day.

Artie made several great calls that day, and this was one of them. We moved to a group that he thought would blast off. They did! What separated this image for the other 15-20 I took in this sequence is the sharp head outline in the UL rule of thirds.

Canon 1D IV, Canon 800 f5.6 IS, Drop-in Polarizing Filter, ISO 50, f29, 1/13 sec

All comments welcome.

Randy Stout
11-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Patrick:

Striking, with a number of areas that are surprisingly sharp for this shutter speed. I am assuming you were panning? Well exposed.

Must have been pretty loud too!

Cheers

Randy

Danny J Brown
11-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Patrick,

I have to admit that I've been known to skip over a few of these blast off shots but I'm glad I checked yours out because it rocks!!! This is one of the best ones I've seen, maybe because as Randy says, many of the geese are rather sharp. The image has some nice color woven into the fabric of the goose frenzy as well. Really easy on the eyes. Thanks.

DB

Troy Lim
11-30-2010, 10:41 PM
Stunning shot for sure.....wow...

Ken Watkins
11-30-2010, 11:32 PM
This is the sort of "blur" image I can really appreciate, I am amazed at your settings.
But they clearly work, so many clear heads.

Craig Brelsford
12-01-2010, 02:17 AM
I'd be happy to have this one in my camera. Geese from corner to corner. An exciting moment, well-captured.

Sharad Agrawal
12-01-2010, 03:58 AM
MAGICAL.........

Tim Munsey
12-01-2010, 05:23 AM
Yeah really like these style shots, dynamic diagonal makes it even better.

Tim

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
12-01-2010, 08:53 AM
Just the right amount of blurred with the head being sharp enough, also the diagonal direction in which all moving is good too, what an excellent work. I really like this blast off image, TFS.

BTW, I see one on the right is sort of turning to look at the viewer, very cool :D

denise ippolito
12-01-2010, 09:06 AM
Excellent blur Patrick. I like the sharp heads and the slight diagonal position of their bodies. It was a pleasure to have you and Robin on the workshop. Hope to see you soon.:)

Marina Scarr
12-01-2010, 10:03 AM
This is one of the most pleasing Snow Geese captures I think I have seen. The blur seems just right and you're right about the heads being just sharp enough to make this really stand out.

Joerg Rockenberger
12-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Looks like just the perfect storm. Nice balance between blur and sharpness of the heads. Only thing which could make this better is if some of the "holes" towards the top were also filled... JR

James Salywoda
12-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Gorgeous Image!!! Congrats.

Daniel Cadieux
12-01-2010, 11:54 AM
BTW, I see one on the right is sort of turning to look at the viewer, very cool :D

Great catch Thanaboon...thanks for pointing that out, very cool!:cool:

Just an all out impressive blur - everything worked together nicely to give you an impressive image. Two thumbs up from me!

Patrick Sparkman
12-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Thanks for all of the great comments. The goose looking at the camera, in middle right, really cracks me up. It is like he is saying "get off my back to the one behind him", or else wondering why they are all going in the same direction.

Thanks Denise! Robin and I had a great time, and learned so much from you and Artie.