PDA

View Full Version : Out for a stroll on the ice

Randy Stout
11-30-2010, 09:36 PM
This Canada goose was out for a stroll on the new ice at the local bird sanctuary. The color comes from a willow tree in the background. I waited for him to cross that area.

D700 1/2000s ISO 800 f/4 Manual Gitzo/Wimberley

Advice always appreciated

Cheers

Randy

Sid Garige
11-30-2010, 09:39 PM
Perfect pose and love that raised foot. Composition is great. I would lighten up the blacks on the head a little bit.

Craig Brelsford
11-30-2010, 09:40 PM
How welcome to get a shot of a Canada goose doing something besides swimming or flying! Thanks, Randy. You offer a solid solution to the dilemma of exposing this black-and-white bird. The whites are about to burn on the underparts, and you're about to lose details on the black head, but I don't see what more you could have done. Your mid-tones, meanwhile, are rich. I'd have liked a slightly lower angle (if that were possible), and I'm wondering whether you can brighten up the eye some.

Bhushan Dalvi
11-30-2010, 10:24 PM
Randy, love the HA and the raised feet. I would agree with Craig on the points he mentioned.

Troy Lim
11-30-2010, 10:25 PM
Love the composition and standing on one leg.
It is a bit on the cold side for me personally, a great shot.

Chris Martinez
12-01-2010, 05:40 AM
Kinda looks like he's skating!! The coloured ice makes for a great setting.

Gary Esman
12-01-2010, 06:18 AM
Randy, another nice goose shot. I remember the colors being a little more vibrant than this. Nice raised foot and HA. Of course the detail is great. The pose makes this common bird more interesting to look at.

Gary.

Randy Stout
12-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Thanks everyone!

Chris - I thought about using a skating title, but didn't know if others would see it.

Gary - it is perhaps a bit cooler than the real scene. I didn't change WB, color temp or saturation. However, I kind of think the cooler color works with the ice!

Cheers

Randy

James Salywoda
12-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Beautiful shot Randy the golden tones on the ice really make the bird standout nicely tack sharp as well.

Stu Bowie
12-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Randy, excellent exposure on the goose, the detail on the black plumage of the neck shows nicely. I like the walking pose with the raised foot, and I like the light and colours of the surrounding ice. Well captured.