PDA

View Full Version : Lapland Longspur.

Daniel Cadieux
11-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Here's another image of this cooperative beautiful little fellow that allowed plenty of opportunities about a month ago. It was cold and windy that afternoon, but I like the wind-blown feathers this created.

Canon 40D + 100-400L @310mm, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/800s., f/6.3, ISO 800, +1 EC, natural light, handheld, FF.

Gary Esman
11-30-2010, 07:25 PM
I find it amazing that you can get shots like this at 310mm.:cheers: I see nothing that I would change.

Gary.

Joerg Rockenberger
11-30-2010, 07:42 PM
I agree with Gary's comment re the 310 mm. Did you use calls to attract the bird? Besides pose & sharpness I like the overall gray tone of the image with the bird providing the only strong colors. The perch is a bit overbearing perhaps but great image. Congrats! JR

Daniel Cadieux
11-30-2010, 08:12 PM
No calls on this guy. This individual, as well as a Horned Lark it was associating with, drew plenty of attraction from photographers as it was pretty much oblivious to our presence...often allowing ridiculously close approach. See here (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?73958-Extention-tube-needed!-Lapland-Longspur-portrait.).:cool:

Danny J Brown
11-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Hi Daniel,

I never get tired of looking at the subtle colors of birds that have been captured in a well-executed photograph. Not too much contrast, not too flat, not to saturated......just right, as a person sees the bird in the wild. You are right about the wind; I often go out searching for birds on windy days just to get the blowing feather shots. I took a similar picture as this but of a hermit thrush standing at the edge of a bluff over the Meramec River. Your shot reminded me of that day. I can remember every shot I ever took, I think, and I bet you are the same way. I love the head turn toward the photographer in this case as well and the eye is exposed quite nicely. Nice photograph, my friend.

DB

Sid Garige
11-30-2010, 09:03 PM
Very nice pose and eyecontact Daniel. Great details.

Craig Brelsford
11-30-2010, 09:07 PM
Danny's strong response covers what I wanted to say. Good insight on seeing a bird in a photo "as a person sees the bird in the wild." I also like Joerg's point that the colors of the longspur are the only ones that stand out in the otherwise gray image. Another good closeup, Daniel!

Tim Munsey
12-01-2010, 05:31 AM
Nice shot, very clean and great eye contact.

Tim

Stu Bowie
12-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Hey Dan what a perfect pose and HA. The colours stand out so well from the wintery BG, sharp, and well placed in the frame too.

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Daniel, agree with everything said above. A perfect shot. Blown feathers add that extra something....superb one.