PDA

View Full Version : Final approach

Indranil Sircar
11-30-2010, 03:19 PM
I had posted another version in the OOTB forum. I thought I will post the original here to get critiqued... This image was taken a while ago with the morning sun behind me. As these birds were approaching a landing area, I managed to get few frames with the flock in formation as if aircrafts in final approach for landing.

40D, Sigma 50-500mm @ 500mm on Mongoose 3.5a<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> <!-- vBulletin.register_control("vB_ProfilefieldEditor", "10"); //--> </SCRIPT>
1/2000 sec, f/8 Mode: Av Metering: Evaluative Exp comp: -1/3 ISO: 400

Removed a tideline on the back and cleaned up some spots. Hope you like it...

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-30-2010, 03:37 PM
This is a terrific shot Indranil. Well seen and composed. Eye jumps from one bird to the other. Symmetrical poses with no overlap...wonderful. Reflections is the cherry on top.

David Gancarz
11-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Hope you like it...

Indeed yes, Very much so. The pelicans do not display particularly sharp on my work monitor, but the lighting and the composition (especially the latter) are wonderful. I wouldn't change a thing about the crop. The six reflections work but are not dominant, the open space to the left is just right amount, and I like the way top birds are ever-so-slightly banking to that open space (their right).

Petros Petrou
11-30-2010, 04:29 PM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Κανονικός πίνακας"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->Very nice image. Nice soft colors, beautiful composition and the reflection is a real bonus showing how close to the water the birds are.

Sidharth Kodikal
11-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Beautiful image, Indranil. Really like the composition. The formation is so engaging.
Thanks for sharing.

Daniel Cadieux
11-30-2010, 06:41 PM
I love the concept!! Lovely comp. I agree some of the birds could be sharper for web display, but man this is cool!!

Randy Stout
11-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Indranil:

Really does remind one of heavy cargo planes on final. Good critiques from above.
I might even consider a version with a ultra pano crop, with just the three bottom birds.

Well seen, well captured.

Cheers

Randy

Arthur Morris
11-30-2010, 07:31 PM
The reflections are just killer. If you don't have a bit more room below then I would try Randy's suggestion but you would need to cover part of the remaining reflections with water, Light is sweet, EXP perfect, and focus is spot on.

Where?

Danny J Brown
11-30-2010, 08:21 PM
A nice J-hook of pelicans coming in and the smooth, gray background is very artsy. The slight ripple in the foreground with the reflection is perfect. A unique and compelling shot that I like very much.

DB

Sid Garige
11-30-2010, 09:07 PM
Very nice composition.

Bhushan Dalvi
11-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Indranil, very nicely done. Love the comp and the reflection.

Indranil Sircar
12-01-2010, 01:16 AM
Thanks all. Appreciate all the feedback and kind words.

Indranil Sircar
12-01-2010, 01:25 AM
Indranil:

Really does remind one of heavy cargo planes on final. Good critiques from above.
I might even consider a version with a ultra pano crop, with just the three bottom birds.

Well seen, well captured.

Cheers

Randy

Thanks Randy, good point on the crop. I will rework and post in future.

The reflections are just killer. If you don't have a bit more room below then I would try Randy's suggestion but you would need to cover part of the remaining reflections with water, Light is sweet, EXP perfect, and focus is spot on.

Where?

Thanks Artie. This was taken at Don Edwards NWR at San Francisco Bay Area. I did have bit more of the canvas and here is a repost. I have also applied more usm on the web version just as David and Dan had suggested in the earlier post.

Tim Munsey
12-01-2010, 05:33 AM
Yeah, ace! This one does it for me, fantastic curve formation, really nice!

Tim

Pieter de Waal
12-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Defenitely like it Indranil, repost is an improvement but nothing wrong with the first either. All has been noted but I also like the low angle.