PDA

View Full Version : Long-Eared Owl

Svante Larsson
11-30-2010, 04:04 AM
I am aware that this is in many respects a rather crappy image but it is the best one from a two hour session trying to find a reasonable angle into a tree where there were a total of 8 of these birds sitting. Unfortunately there were twigs all over the place.

It is my only images of this rather interesting looking bird so I am rather keen to keep a somewhat decent image even though from a photo perspective I guess the best thing would be to press the delete button :2eyes2:.

I have been looking at earlier advice from Jules and has used the cloning, healing and paint brushes extensively together with lightening the body and the birds right eye (I should have used fill flash but didn't think until after the event :o). I would however appreciate advice on how to further improve the image. Will show the original in the next post.

Nikon D300
500 mm f/4 with 1.7xTC
ISO800
1/400
f/8

Svante Larsson
11-30-2010, 04:06 AM
The original image.

denise ippolito
11-30-2010, 09:55 AM
Svante, I think you captured a nice looking owl. For me the amount of clean up is too great. It is starting to look over-worked. The one branch that cuts across the body by the beak is a deal killer. I will say that you did an excellent job clearing the clutter. When I find birds in busy BG's such as this I usually wait it out to see if they fly or re-position themselves. Good luck in the field and I hope you get another chance at this one. Looking forward to more.:)

Daniel Cadieux
11-30-2010, 12:08 PM
Hi Svante, The clone, healing and paint brushes are indeed valuable tools but I am with Denise here that in this example the work is just too much to take on (for me anyways). I like how you lightened the owl, great job there, but I would leave the twigs as they are, keep the image, and hope for a better opportunity in the future. I've got many images that I've kept that I normally wouldn't simply for recording a event or special outing.

Long-eared Owls are special to see, I'm glad you got the opportunity to observe them for such a long period of time!!

Peter Farrell
11-30-2010, 07:12 PM
I agree with the previous comments. It is okay as a record image of this species though.
Owls frustate me regularly.
Peter

Julie Kenward
12-02-2010, 01:30 PM
I agree with the others but...I commend you for trying new things and giving this one a go! It would be different if the bird were maybe all one color but the patterns of the feathers is going to make this especially hard to clone or patch over. You did get a LOT of good practice in though and that will help out in future images.

I also think you should keep the image as it is a very nice environmental image. In the future, trying for an angle where the head is clear of all those limbs is the best view in situations like this so when faced with another tree such as this keep that in mind. You are lucky to have seen these beauties - you may be lucky again one day where they will be out in the open for their favorite photographer.

Glenn Abuja
12-09-2010, 08:36 PM
I always keep ones like this till I get a better shot.
It is a reminder for me to work on this species in the future. When shooting in the wild, mother nature controls our options.
Great start, these guys hide in thick trees normally, limiting our options.