PDA

View Full Version : Hiding on the Vine

Mike Fuhr
11-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Been a long while since I've had a chance to get out an photograph. Aso a long time since I have posted anything here at BPN.

I took this pic of an anole while I was in SC last week for the holiday. I took many different shot of this little guy, but this one, the widest angle, turned out to be my favorite. The flowing vine is the icing on the cake for me :). Anyway, C and C welcome.

Nikon D300
100-300 F/4
135mm
1/60 (-1.0)
ISO 250
Induro Tripod

Some sharpness added, curves adjustment made

Danny J Brown
11-29-2010, 10:51 PM
Hi Mike,

Looks like a "set up" shot but better because you actually found it this way in the wild. I love the way the reptile's tail becomes part of the vine and then does a final curl with perfect symmetry against the corner of your frame. A beautiful background brings everything home. I would have taken more off the right side but that would have made it less dramatic and I never would have known that. Wonderful shot.

DB

Ken Childs
11-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Hey Mike, I like this one a lot! The vine has a great flow to it and the Anole is in the perfect "I'm not here" pose. The lizard's head looks a little soft to me so maybe some selective sharpening would help. Overall the BG looks great but there is an area close to the center of the frame that could use some extra blurring or painting over and towards the UR it might look better if it was lightened a very small amount. A couple of tweaks will take this already great shot over the top! :)

Roman Kurywczak
11-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Hey Mike,
Nice to see you got out! Love it!!!!.....Besides Ken's selective sharpening on the face suggestion.....only small tweak I have is small crop off right.....eliminating the leaf on that edge. overall....this turned out fantastic!:cheers:

Steve Maxson
11-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Hi Mike. This is a great shot - for all the reasons noted above. The flow of the vine, the blending in of the anole, the nice background, the even light, all make this image very appealing! A couple minor tweaks, as suggested above, could make it even better. :cheers:

Mike Fuhr
11-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks for all the comments everyone. I thought someone would mention the leaf on the right!

I took a look at the original and their is a lot of detail on the face -- I could literally count the scales :). I think some detail was lost on the conversion to a small jpg. Some of the splotchyness in the background might also be from the same thing. I forgot to look at that when I zoomed in on the face. I'm looking forward to seeing this one printed...

Anita Bower
12-01-2010, 08:46 AM
Great shot! I love that curling vine. It took me a while to see the reptile.:o Beautiful colors and BG and light. I like the proportions of the image. If you are to eliminate the leaf on right, maybe you could clone it out, but, not a bit deal. Excellent work.

Mike Fuhr
12-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Great shot! I love that curling vine. It took me a while to see the reptile.:o Beautiful colors and BG and light. I like the proportions of the image. If you are to eliminate the leaf on right, maybe you could clone it out, but, not a bit deal. Excellent work.

Thanks Anita and everyone for looking and making comments.:)

Greg Basco
12-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Hi, Mike. Great job on this. I just love loose compositions for smaller animals, and this one works beautifully.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Mike Fuhr
12-16-2010, 10:43 PM
Hi, Mike. Great job on this. I just love loose compositions for smaller animals, and this one works beautifully.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Thanks Greg.