PDA

View Full Version : DE Junco

Mikko Viljamaa
11-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Hi All,

Couple of weeks ago I started to leave some nuts and seeds to a selected place on my way home from the office. A week ago I installed a fallen branch above this place hoping that by using a car as a hide maybe the birds would stop on branch and pose for me before eating.

Yesterday afternoon I decided to go and see who or what has been eating all this food lately (hoping that I don't have a fat squirrel waiting for me... :p). Shortly after I had spread the food I had my first customer sitting on the branch. And because the first bird happened to be a Junco, it will now have the honors to be the first species posted from my new "studio".

Any comments how to improve again are appreciated.

Cheers,

Mikko

EOS MK3 + 500/4 + 1.4 TC
F/5.6
CW-Average 1/500; + 2/3
ISO 640
Camera on beanbag.

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
11-29-2010, 08:48 PM
Congratulation on your new studio, the image of this first "model" is looking mighty fine. Love the sharpness, the exposure, the details, the HA and the smooth background. I might run NR on just the background for this image. This perch is already looking fine, but maybe also try a smaller one too.

Now I want to set up my own studio as well :D

Dave Leroy
11-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Well done. I really like the perch.

Nice composition and pose on the Junco. Exposure looks very good as well.

I might try the blacks a little darker.

It is such a short dof with this combo. I am not sure if focus is on the breast or not.

Good idea and good for you to do it.

Dave

James Shadle
11-29-2010, 09:39 PM
Hello Mikko,
There is a lot to like about this image. The clean background and sharpness (eye looks sharp to me) has been covered. What stands out to me is the eye contact. Even better than just a correct or pleasing head angle, the viewer has a personal connection with the subject because of the eye contact.

I would suggest stopping down a bit more. It look like your camera could handle ISO 800 with little trouble and you where using an IS lens on a been bag. As long as your subject was relatively stationary you could use a smaller aperture and slower shutter speed.

The closer you get, the shallower your DOF gets.

I have a feeling you and your perch will be very happy together:).

nancy hazen
11-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Mikko, you made a great "studio". I love the natural perch and angle. The Junco is very sharp and great lighting from the side. I'm looking forward to seeing more. Great "studio" idea!
Nancy

Johan Kruger
11-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Interesting little fellow, well done setting up the "studio" , great return on investment :)

Peter Farrell
11-30-2010, 07:22 PM
Very nice Bg and perch. Maybe a little NR on the BG. The bird looks very good for detail and exposure.
I very seldom see the Juncos around her on a perch, mostly on the ground.
Peter

Chris Martinez
12-01-2010, 06:45 AM
What an adorable little bird.
I agree the composition is very pleasing. Love the eye contact!!

Mikko Viljamaa
12-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks guys. I agree now when I look at the background and it does need some NR. I didn't notice that before.

But hey that's why I post here... :p

Mikko