PDA

View Full Version : My first post here

Christopher Schlaf
11-29-2010, 08:08 PM
This is my first shot here.Fly

Dave Mills
11-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Hi Christopher,thought I would pop in here and tell you how impressed I am with the image. Great detail along with even lighting. Nicely muted backround with the subject placed on a diagonal. The beige leaf is on the same plane so it is also sharp and full of detail. Great job and first post!

Mike Fuhr
11-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Very nice detail in this shot. I'm always fascinated while being a bit grossed out by these insect ultra close-ups:). I like this one a lot. Could you also post your techs on the shot? Also, is that a mite or something just under the wing?

Ken Childs
11-30-2010, 11:18 AM
Hi Christopher, welcome to the Macro and Flora Forum!

This is a pretty nice first post! I really like the perch! It looks like your focus was locked on the base of the wing and so the head isn't as sharp as it could be but considering this was shot with a SS of .5", it's sharper than I would expect it to be. If it had been possible, a small move to the right could have provided a better angle that would have shown more of the face. You would have been able to use a smaller aperture for more DOF and a faster SS if you had used some fill flash....something to think about for the next time out. :)

There's a bright area near the lower edge of the leaf that could be toned down and the right side of the BG is getting a bit dark so you might have a go at trying to brighten it up. Selectively sharpening the head might help.

As already mentioned, please post your shooting specs. I know the exif was intact and I'm all for that but it makes it easier for everyone if the specs are listed in your post. There are posting guidelines listed in a sticky at the top of the main Macro Forum page.

Again, welcome to BPN and keep those bug shots coming! :)

Roman Kurywczak
11-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Hey Christopher.....another reason to post the specs up front.....it helps others learn from them on your fantastic first post!!! I love everything about this one!!!....pose/perch/BG.....Ken's tweaks will just make this perfect!!
Welcome to the forum and a great 1st post!:cheers:

Steve Maxson
11-30-2010, 12:06 PM
Hi Christopher and welcome to Macro! This is an outstanding first post! I would agree with Dave's comments and Ken has suggested some tweaks that would make the image even stronger. The shooting specs have already been mentioned. Keep them coming! :cheers:

Christopher Schlaf
11-30-2010, 06:08 PM
I will try to get the specs

Ken_Bower
12-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Excellent shot, sharp all the way!

What camera/lens did you use?

Christopher Schlaf
12-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Canon EOS 7D
EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
Manual mode
0.5"
F13.0
Manual mode
ISO 320
CS5
I also used a tripod.
No Flash that I can recall

OvidiuCavasdan
12-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Welcome Christopher!
Very nice first post! I like the composition and colors, sharp and fine details.

Andrew McLachlan
12-04-2010, 12:18 AM
A wonderful first post here Christopher. Agree with Roman's suggestion that Ken's advice will put this over the top.

Humberto Ramos
12-10-2010, 05:27 PM
great shot... is this image a single shot? or you take more than one shot and used software to process?

Christopher Schlaf
12-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Thanks
Just 1 shot