PDA

View Full Version : LONE SPRINGBOK

ken dyball
11-29-2010, 12:47 AM
This image was taken in 2009, i was looking for Oryx on the sand dunes in the Namib Desert when this little fellow poped up, the momment i spotted him i crouched down carefully set my tripod up, waited & hoped he walked towards this spot, usally Springbok see you first on the dunes & then bolt down or over the next dune!

Nikon D700, 300mm 2.8 Lens
F/8 1/200

www.africanatureimages.com

Harshad Barve
11-29-2010, 01:37 AM
Oh boy , this is simply stunner , Big congrats for this
TFS

Hilary Hann
11-29-2010, 02:22 AM
No doubt about this Ken, very beautiful. The only thing which takes my eye from the Springbok is the bush on the far right which is brightly lit, apart from that all the curving lines of the sweeping dunes lead to the tiny antelope giving a wonderfully graphic image showing the vast spaces and tough conditions in these areas.

Marc Mol
11-29-2010, 02:34 AM
The limitations of a 1024KB wide web post, doesn't do justice to this fine animalscape Ken.
Stunning light and colour :cheers:
TFS

Grant Atkinson
11-29-2010, 02:50 AM
Wow Ken, what a shot. I really like the looping animal tracks (I am guessing they are wild animal tracks:)), and the lines as mentioned by Hilary. It would have been a strong landscape for me even without the springbok, with it the image is superb.
Well done
Grant

ken dyball
11-29-2010, 03:13 AM
Wow Ken, what a shot. I really like the looping animal tracks (I am guessing they are wild animal tracks:)), and the lines as mentioned by Hilary. It would have been a strong landscape for me even without the springbok, with it the image is superb.
Well done
Grant

Hi Grant, glad you like it, i seen the tracks the afternoon before & thought that they were Oryx tracks, so i went back there early the next morning so i'm geussing they were Springbok tracks, i marked this spot on my gps & went back to the same spot this year but not a living sole to be seen in miles!

Cheers

John Ippolito
11-29-2010, 03:16 AM
Superb imagery, Ken. Lines, colors and the springbok lit in front of the shadow is magic !

Lorant Voros
11-29-2010, 03:57 AM
Very nice image. Love the mood, the light and the lines. Well done.

Lorant

Steve Kaluski
11-29-2010, 10:50 AM
Great light, nice mood, interesting textures, a lot to take in on this one Ken, certainly this image is a nice departure on this section. :cheers:

BTW, what is running through the BG, looks like water droplets or something, can't make it out?:confused:

Steve

Todd Frost
11-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Superb image Ken. Love the light and as mentioned the lines in the dunes are very strong elements to this image. Well done.
TFS
Todd

DanWalters
11-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Love the play between light and shadow. Like the way the subject is positioned right in the shadow area. Would look great as a large mural!

Robert Amoruso
11-29-2010, 02:02 PM
Ken,

You got the Springbok in the perfect position; backlighting on the animal and a dark in shade BG.

Critiquing this from a landscape perspective, I followed the edges looking for "edge distractions" and recommend a crop from the right to just before the backlite bush. This will give you a dark border on the right and remove the bush as a distraction competing with the Springbok.

On the left, I am good with the sliver of light making the small V in the upper middle left of the image.

I suggest you post this in the landscape forum as well, but do that crop I recommend because I bet Roman and Dave Mills would both pick up on it. :)

Rachel Hollander
11-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Ken - well done. I too like the interaction between the light and the dunes. The springbok is just a bonus that takes this over the top. I'm hoping my next Africa trip includes Namibia and some time in the desert.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
11-29-2010, 03:20 PM
this is lovely Ken...the scape shows the immensity of those dunes nicely, and the light was sweet...

Steve - the "water droplets" are probably rocks and shrubs against the slope of the BG dune...

ken dyball
11-29-2010, 03:57 PM
Great light, nice mood, interesting textures, a lot to take in on this one Ken, certainly this image is a nice departure on this section. :cheers:

BTW, what is running through the BG, looks like water droplets or something, can't make it out?:confused:

Steve

Hi Steve

The only thing i can think of here is the clumps of vegetation on the dunes, but def no water!
Cheers

Danny J Brown
11-29-2010, 07:42 PM
Hey Ken,

To late to add anything but I wanted to let you know that I agree with the above that this is a superb shot, just gorgeous.

DB

Steve Canuel
11-30-2010, 12:27 AM
A real nice pic that's just a pleasure to view. Warm light, cool shadows, and color do it for me.

Russell Johnson
11-30-2010, 07:17 AM
Very atmospheric, like this a lot.