PDA

View Full Version : Question re D3/ SB800 & B.B. use

Bob G
03-15-2008, 06:48 PM
I am using a D3 plus SB800 fitted with a Better Beamer to photograph birds (sometimes in flight and sometimes not) and have been reading many articles on various forums and still haven't found a clear self contained answer.
What settings should I input in the SB800? ( i.e. Mode, +/- EV, Others etc.)
What setting for the D3 ? (i.e. Mode, Flash Shutter Synch. etc.)
Some of the less clear issues are around FP mode and if it reduces output/distance and whether compensations set in camera and also in SB800 are cumulative when in TTL mode and if both are preferred.
I understand there might be a measure on individual taste involved but it should be minor.

Was directed here from Nikon Cafe Forum - they said you guys are the experts

Thanks

George DeCamp
03-15-2008, 07:47 PM
Well, I can tell you what I use but is it 100% correct...... double check! :)

1. Set D3 to 1/250 Auto FP - yes it reduces flash output by maybe 1 or 2 stops. Better beamer adds about 3 stops if I remember.

2. Set SB800 to iTTL FP....if you set to iTTL BL FP then flash will Balance Light (= BL) with camera....YOU want to balance light with flash comp so do not use BL...unless you want someone else to worry about it, ie, the camera and the flash.

Setting exposure comp in camera should not affect setting flash comp in flash....then again I have read conflicting stuff on this but I really didn't see a definitive answer.

Some complicated stuff going on and certainly, like I said, I am not 100% sure I am right but this works so far for me.

Bob G
03-15-2008, 08:10 PM
George - Thanks for your response - a little more info. if I may.

Do you usually have the camera in Aperture Priority or Manual Mode in conjunction with these settings?

What exposure compensation do you use in the Flash and do you use any exposure compensation in the camera?

George DeCamp
03-15-2008, 08:26 PM
[quote=Bob G;52307

Do you usually have the camera in Aperture Priority or Manual Mode in conjunction with these settings?

What exposure compensation do you use in the Flash and do you use any exposure compensation in the camera?[/quote]

Sorry, I should have included that stuff! Doh!

1. Manual Mode! Not 100% of the time though and if not manual mode then Aperture Priority. I would say 80% (or more) Manual Mode and 20% AP.

2. Since I am looking for fill flash I generally have the flash comp set to -2 or thereabouts.

Hope this gets you started...

George DeCamp
03-15-2008, 08:26 PM

What exposure compensation do you use in the Flash and do you use any exposure compensation in the camera?

Sorry, I should have included that stuff! Doh!

1. Manual Mode! Not 100% of the time though and if not manual mode then Aperture Priority. I would say 80% (or more) Manual Mode and 20% AP.

2. Since I am looking for fill flash I generally have the flash comp set to -2 or thereabouts.

Hope this gets you started...

George DeCamp
03-15-2008, 08:27 PM
So much for editing my post! :D

Bob G
03-15-2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks George - one more request if you would. I want to put it all in a self contained logical way and if you wouldn't mind checking the details through and commenting I would really appreciate it.

Any input from others also greatly appreciated.

SETUP FOR USE OF BETTER BEAMER FOR BIRDING
(When using lenses with focal length 300mm or greater)
Assembling the Kit
- Set up Camera on Tripod with Wimberley Head (or whatever you use)
- Attach SB 800 using flash bracket and cord ( on camera if you don't have a bracket )
- Fit Better Beamer to Flash
- Align the aim of flash with some controlled practice shots at likely shooting distance
Making the appropriate settings
Camera
(Set up the camera as though you were shooting in ambient light with no flash including any exposure compensation that subject necessitates).
- With camera exposure mode in M (you can also use A) set appropriate aperture, shutter speed and ISO
- Set in camera Flash synch. speed to 1/250 s (Auto FP) (if light and subject movement allow 1/250s or lower is possible)
SB 800
- Set mode in flash to TTL (not TTL-BL) display should read TTL FP (picks up on FP setting in camera)
- Adjust flash zoom manually to show 50mm
- Adjust exposure compensation to - 2 as a starting point
Shoot
- Check histogram and for any blinkies and adjust SB 800 exposure compensation up or down as required

George DeCamp
03-16-2008, 05:55 AM
Hey Bob!

That looks like it to me!! I also found a little piece by Moose Petterson on the flash part just now;

http://www.moosepeterson.com/D3/flash.html

I have not read it all but just skimmed it and it mentions some of the logic that goes with the above way better than I could do it. Of course he doesn't mention the better beamer in this but still may be helpful to you!

Anyway, good job!!

George

mikeojohnson
03-16-2008, 07:24 PM
Set the flash to 50mm manual when the BB is on.
Mike

Bob G
03-17-2008, 03:32 AM
thanks Guys

Mike - thanks but that info was included on the second line under SB800 heading - maybe you missed it

Krishnan
09-14-2009, 08:57 AM
While using the BB in fill in light application.

What is the recommended sync setting on the camera ? Front curtain Sync or Rear Curtain ?

Best Regards
---Krishnan