PDA

View Full Version : South fork of the Stillaquamis river

Susan Griffith
11-28-2010, 10:20 PM
This is just down the road from our house just before the big snows last week. I liked the way the clouds bisect the image with the snow and sky above river and trees below. It was a good day to be out driving around looking for photo opportunities. CC is always welcome and advice on post processing is always valued. I hope you enjoy.

-Susan

Tim Munsey
11-29-2010, 03:30 AM
This is nice, like the lead in and atmosphere, graduation to the snow line.

Tim

Dave Mills
11-29-2010, 10:29 AM
Hi Susan, As Tim mentioned the atmosphere plays a strong part in creating interest. I like the different layers of terrain along with the river as a base. IMO the snowy tree line is the most interesting aspect of the image due to the radical change..
I looked at various crops but found this comp to be well handled...

Robert Amoruso
11-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Susan,

Please post the technical information (equipment and exposure).

I like the vertical composition and would only recommend some cropping on the bottom to remove tops of clipped rocks (or clone them out if you are OK with that). Left side as well as you have a few clipped rocks in the water.

Always very hard dealing with rocks such as this because as soon as you crop more or crop less, other edge distractions creep in - hence my recommendation on the bottom clipped rocks only.

I feel you could give this some more sharpening.

As mentioned, good use of atmospheric conditions to convey layering in the image imparting depth.

Nice work seeing this image.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Very nice comp. I like the snowy tree line and sky wishing for something more interesting in the foreground

Susan Griffith
11-30-2010, 12:21 AM
Hi Robert,

This photo was taken in manual mode with a 70-200 F2.8L @120mm, auto WB, ISO 640, 1/1000s, and center weighted metering. I think that is all the particulars..

Thanks for all the comments all.. it is greatly appreciated.

-Susan

Roman Kurywczak
11-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Hey Susan,
A little late to the party! I like Roberts idea of cleaning up the rocks in the bottom frame edge.....a cror to just above your signature seems to emphasize the shoreline even more....so works for me. I like the delicate layer of the snowline.....and while it may not be super dramatic.....this has a nice overall feel and mood to it.....so I think this was very well done!

Andrew McLachlan
11-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Hi Susan, I too like the atmospheric conditions you had at work here and like the vertical presentation. Agree with Robert on cleaning up some of the rocks at the edges of the comp.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-30-2010, 08:09 PM
love the icy mountain ridges, very nice comp.