PDA

View Full Version : Pelican

nancy hazen
11-28-2010, 07:18 PM
This is another shot of a Pelican in La Jolla peeking around the rocks.
Canon 7D
100-400 lens
400mm
f8
320 iso
1/1600

Dave Leroy
11-28-2010, 11:43 PM
Nice peek a boo look Nancy.

I am not sure if this is ff or not, but I think the position of everything in the frame is spot on.

Exposure looks very good and camera is nice and square to the bird and ha looks vg as well.

Dave

Julie Kenward
11-29-2010, 08:51 AM
It's another striking image, Nancy! I do wish we could see less FG rock and more of the bird but I'm sure you got as far right as the environment would let you. That eye and hook on the end of his beak really look menacing, don't they? I wouldn't want to see either of those coming at me!

Kerry Perkins
11-29-2010, 10:30 AM
Hi Nancy, nice job on the exposure and colors - looks very good. A slight head turn in your direction would have made for a stronger portrait. I know how treacherous those rocks can be, but if you could have gotten a little bit farther to the right you would have a better view of the bird and a more favorable sun angle. Good job! :cool:

nancy hazen
11-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Nice peek a boo look Nancy.

I am not sure if this is ff or not, but I think the position of everything in the frame is spot on.

Exposure looks very good and camera is nice and square to the bird and ha looks vg as well.

Dave

Thank you Dave. I appreciate your comments.
Nancy

nancy hazen
11-29-2010, 09:06 PM
It's another striking image, Nancy! I do wish we could see less FG rock and more of the bird but I'm sure you got as far right as the environment would let you. That eye and hook on the end of his beak really look menacing, don't they? I wouldn't want to see either of those coming at me!

Thanks Julie. It was tricky on the rocks, and I see what you mean about less rock. He was behind and slighly lower than we were. I'll bet if I watched him longer he might have reached out farther. Thanks for you suggestions.

I totally agree about that hook. They seemed pretty comfortable with us, but fish don't stand a chance.

Nancy

nancy hazen
11-29-2010, 09:08 PM
Hi Nancy, nice job on the exposure and colors - looks very good. A slight head turn in your direction would have made for a stronger portrait. I know how treacherous those rocks can be, but if you could have gotten a little bit farther to the right you would have a better view of the bird and a more favorable sun angle. Good job! :cool:

Thanks for looking and ideas Kerry. I keep trying to remember what Artie said about the shadow line for shooting for the light. I wish I had moved to the right a bit and tried more poses. My first photo teacher always said - one of the best strategies for a good shot is moving and changing our position. I need to remember that. Thanks again for your good suggestions.
Nancy

James Shadle
11-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Nancy,
What time of day did you create this image?

nancy hazen
11-29-2010, 10:23 PM
James, it was about 8 AM. It was very cold that morning at 7 when we arrived. The Pelicans became a bit more active as the sun warmed them.