PDA

View Full Version : San Diego bird photography hotspots

Sidharth Kodikal
11-28-2010, 01:55 PM
I will be in San Diego for 3-4 days in a couple weeks and am planning to spend time photographing birds.
On my list are the Pelicans at La Jolla and ducks at Santee Lakes.

In addition, I would love to get any shorebirds I can.
Curlews, Godwits, Black Oystercatchers, Stilts and Avocets are high on my list.

Any tips on locations etc would be highly appreciated.

nancy hazen
11-28-2010, 02:49 PM
I will be in San Diego for 3-4 days in a couple weeks and am planning to spend time photographing birds.
On my list are the Pelicans at La Jolla and ducks at Santee Lakes.

In addition, I would love to get any shorebirds I can.
Curlews, Godwits, Black Oystercatchers, Stilts and Avocets are high on my list.

Any tips on locations etc would be highly appreciated.

The have cut back the vegetation at Santee Lakes on the islands. I think they are going to replant with natives. That may cut down some of the action there. However, they still have a lot of Snowy Egrets and Great Egrets as well as Corm. and Great Blue Heron. I also saw a kingfisher there.
I haven't been to the Tijuana Estuary, but a friend of mine just went and she said it was good. Also I've hear that Point Loma is great too.,
Nancy

Sidharth Kodikal
11-28-2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks a bunch for the tips, Nancy.
I had read that Santee is the best place for Wood ducks and I was eagerly looking forward to photographing them and the other duck species known to be there.
So, that's a bit disappointing.
But I'm sure San Diego has plenty of other location to keep me occupied for my short trip.
Thanks again.

nancy hazen
11-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Thanks a bunch for the tips, Nancy.
I had read that Santee is the best place for Wood ducks and I was eagerly looking forward to photographing them and the other duck species known to be there.
So, that's a bit disappointing.
But I'm sure San Diego has plenty of other location to keep me occupied for my short trip.
Thanks again.

They still have wood ducks there, so I don't think you'll be disappointed. There are a lot of water birds there still. I think it will be worth a stop.