PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten Feather

Christopher Miller
11-27-2010, 10:33 PM
This is an old photo that I had posted over a year ago. I had placed a feather from one of our ducks on an old log. In PP, I desaturated the wood leaving the feather in color and added a vignette. Any comments and suggestions would be most appreciated.

denise ippolito
11-27-2010, 11:44 PM
Christopher, I like the softness and the feather placement. I might tone down the vignette just a tiny bit if it were mine. Nicely done.:)

Julie Kenward
11-28-2010, 08:55 AM
I'm fine with all of it but I wish the entire thing was in sepia tones - there seems to be so much texture in the wood and I feel like we're missing the full impact in black and white...and I LOVE black and white so go figure.

Paul Lagasi
11-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Nice well thought out image, I also would like to see what this image would look like all in B & W, nicely done Chris

Jay Sheinfield
11-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Christopher,

I like how the splits in the bark compliment the vein in the feather. That pattern in the upper right portion of the log is causing me to scream:), that's a good scream!...........did you take a close up of the bark? (I'm a close up guy). Pls UPS that log to me immediately...................kidding............

Well composed and well done, as usual.

Indranil Sircar
11-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Christopher, beautiful composition. I am liking the texture on the bark. I also like the concept although I think a b&w would have been an equally excellent just as Julie suggested. TFS.

Christopher Miller
11-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks a lot, everyone! I greatly appreciate it.

Jay, the log's way too big to mail to you. Sorry! :D

As suggested, here is a sepia-toned version with the feather in color. I also did an all sepia version which is below. Let me know what you think.

Christopher Miller
11-28-2010, 01:22 PM
Here's the all sepia version.

Roman Kurywczak
11-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Hey Christopher,
More of the bolder type:).....so I prefer the OP best! The comp is super and the effect is done very, very, well!
Great job!

Andrew McLachlan
11-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Hi Christopher, I too like the OP best. Well thought out image and nice idea to desaturate the log making the feather really pop. Well done!

Christopher Miller
11-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Thanks, Roman and Andrew. The OP is my favorite too. :)

Anita Bower
11-30-2010, 05:59 AM
I like the softness and smoothness of the feather against the hardness and roughness of the log. Also, the soft curves against the intricate curls. Wonderful contrasts. The position of the leaf and the crop are just right. My first thought upon seeing the OP was that the log pulled attention away from the feather. There are some white areas on the log that seem blown out. I did a quick darkening of the log using burn, just to get an idea if that would help focus more attention on the feather. (I would not use burn if working on the original file.) What do you think?

I like the first repost. I think all it needs is eliminating the blown out white areas. Very pleasing.

Christopher Miller
11-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Thanks Anita! Your version definitely makes it more dramatic.