PDA

View Full Version : Great Horned Owl Fledgling

Danny J Brown
11-27-2010, 04:30 PM
I photographed this baby great horned owl last summer in a copse of woods in St. Louis' beautiful Forest Park. The background is pretty strong and there is a slight shadow on the little fella's right eye but I think images of young are always worth a look. Please, everybody, let's keep that twig that extends into the out-of-focus foreground a secret from Artie.....he ain't gonna like it!:)

DB

Canon 40D; Canon 500/4 + 1.4TC; 1/100; f/5.6; ISO 200; Gitzo GT3530LS/Wimberley II

Dan Brown
11-27-2010, 06:51 PM
Beautiful specimen Danny. I might evict that little bit of OOF foliage on the right edge. The twig "is what it is" as Artie would say (maybe?). Hey, this bird looks rusty!!:p

Todd Frost
11-27-2010, 08:59 PM
Nice sharp image of the little fella Danny. Twig unfortunate, but they like the trees. Nice eye contact.
TFS
Todd

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-27-2010, 10:01 PM
Personally, I don't care about the twig Danny. It was there and probably not much you could have done. Was there a way to step to the side to get another angle? :) Love those magnificent talons and I can think of a few people I'd love to sink them into! :D
Young owls are special and I take any shot anywhere, anytime without being anally retentive about what is surrounding it. Well done mate. :)

Danny J Brown
11-28-2010, 05:18 AM
Personally, I don't care about the twig Danny. It was there and probably not much you could have done. Was there a way to step to the side to get another angle? :) Love those magnificent talons and I can think of a few people I'd love to sink them into! :D
Young owls are special and I take any shot anywhere, anytime without being anally retentive about what is surrounding it. Well done mate. :)

Yes, the talons and the eyes make these little fellas. I was just having a little fun about the twig as almost all of my shots appear a little messy as I don't do any "housekeeping." Take care.

DB

Doug Brown
11-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Love the eye contact and talons. Your self-assessment is excellent. I would try to lighten the side of the face that's slightly shadowed.

James Salywoda
11-29-2010, 01:25 AM
Fantastic Shot!!!! Great pose and the detail is superb Danny really nicely captured.

Danny J Brown
11-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Thanks, my friends!

DB