PDA

View Full Version : Eagle in the shadows

Duane Noblick
11-26-2010, 07:52 PM

Canon 7D, Canon 500mm f/4L + 1.4TC, 1/500" @ f/5.6, ISO 125, Pine needles removed from upper right corner of image. The shadow across her face was timed/captured on purpose because of the harsh light at the time (evident looking at the tail feathers) (photgraphed at 9:30am).

Sid Garige
11-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Considering the steep shooting angle and tough lighting conditions, still a good looking image Duane.

Randy Stout
11-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Duane:

Challenging lighting for sure. I think it was a good strategy to try an image in the shadows for the face. Hopefully you got a few in full sun too, to see what you could do with the whites.

As a general comment, it is difficult to make dappled light work unless, the face/eye is well lit. This one is close, but I wish there was a bit more light on the eye area. You might be able to tease out a bit more from the head with some selective shadow work.

I might also be inclined to do a little pruning of the branches around the head.

Steep angle mentioned by Sid.

Cheers

Randy

Danny J Brown
11-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Hi Duane,

Nice way to capitalize on trying conditions. The beak and face area has an incredible amount of detail in this image....more than I'm used to seeing on eagle shots. The eye looks great as well, even in the aforementioned shadow a little. Nice shot.

DB