PDA

View Full Version : Wet Kitty

Morkel Erasmus
11-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Spent a lovely hour alone with a pride of lions in the northern section of the Kruger National Park in December 2009...

Those who have been there know how rare it is to have sightings like this for yourself. 2 reasons for this privilege in this case:

A. Northern Kruger - not the crazy termite's nest that is the Southern, more accessible, part.
B. It was raining, but we resisted the temptation to sleep in that morning and braved the dismal weather - and were rewarded with this sighting.

I know the road is a nit for some - but IMHO if there are no visible vehicle tracks it could just as well be an open plain :). This pride was trying to avoid the wet, dense foliage and rather lied in the slight drizzle in the open road.

I warmed up the WB a touch as the famous Nikon green cast was present, but didn't want to overdo it as I wanted to convey the sense of "cold&wet" I felt (and the lion must've felt).

Techs:
Nikon D300s with 200-400mm VR @ 400mm
f4.0 @ 1/100 SS @ ISO-400
Exp -0.3
Lens rested on beanbag over vehicle window

DanWalters
11-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Like the low angle and the eyes. Nice color as well. Maybe just a little more room on the right. Must have been a great hour!

Todd Frost
11-26-2010, 07:33 PM
As mentioned the low angle is nice, I don't have a problem with the dirt road. Would have ben nice if he was not merging with the other lion (I realize unavoidable). Overall nice image of a good looking young male.
ps. Interesting comment "famous Nikon green cast" as I have not experienced this (D2H, D200, D300). Will have to google it.
TFS
Todd

Morkel Erasmus
11-27-2010, 12:50 AM
thanks Dan and Todd...

Todd - the "famous" as tongue-in-cheek as it has come up a few times in this forum, and is something I observed the D300s, D3s and D700 units I tested doing on AWB in overcast conditions ;)

Steve Canuel
11-27-2010, 01:32 AM
Great eyes on this one. Does come across as cold, wet, and drizzly. Don't mind the road, the other cat part is a little distracting but I know the limitations you guys have to shoot with.

Russell Johnson
11-27-2010, 06:53 AM
This really conveys the wet days well.

Personally I feel that the image has too much cramps on the RHS.

Johan Kruger
11-27-2010, 12:00 PM
He looks like he is wondering what you would taste like :) Nice sighting and capture Morkel

Todd Frost
11-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the info Morkel, that explains why I haven't noticed it I don't often shoot in AWB.
Todd

Danny J Brown
11-27-2010, 03:58 PM
Hi Morkel,

Great comments above and too bad about the other cat getting into the shot but I always love seeing shots of young like this. It looks like it might have already been in a little spat as its right ear appears to be damaged a bit......maybe just something else. Take care.

DB

Harshad Barve
11-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Great comments above and agreed
TFS

John Ippolito
11-29-2010, 04:19 AM
Really like the wet sprawled out look, and the eyes are serene. Like the ear clock. Another who rarely shoots AWB.

Morkel Erasmus
11-29-2010, 02:09 PM
thanks for the comments guys :)